Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring Vista from a recovery partition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrmah2

mrmah2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

I was given a Dell Inspiron which had crashed, by a friend who wanted me to recover some files for him.  He got his files and a new laptop, I got the old one.  Now I want to restore it.  When the machine is poweered on it goes to a black screen with "BOOTMGR is missing", "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."

I can hit F12 to change boot options, access BIOS Setup, and Diagnostics.

Diagnostics:

DST Short Test Failed

Error Code 0146

Msg: Error code 2000 - 0146

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - self test log contains previous error(s)

All other tests: Pass

After extensive memory tests a message box opens "Booting Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition. Press any key to continue."  Options are "Memory test", "System Test", and "Exit".  Again all memory tests pass.  After choosing "System Test", I ran the "Express Test".  Two errors found:

Error code 0F00:065D

Msg:DISK - Self test read error

Error code 0F00:133C

Msg: DISK - Read error.  check disk

All Other tests Pass.

There is a prompt to press F2 for Setup which doesn't work.  I am also unable to boot into safe mode using F8.

I am able to boot into "GParted" from a cd.  I ran the memory test, which passed.  GParted lists the drives as follows:

/dev/sda1  fat16  no label     39.19MB     8.49MB used    30.70MB unused  flag - diag

/dev/sda2  ntfs    recovery    14.65GB     3.02GB used    11.63GB unused  no flag

/dev/sda3  ntfs    OS           218.20GB     3.00GB used  215.20GB unused  flag - boot

Finally I have managed to boot the machine with a Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10.  I updated the antivirus and ran a scan.  It came back clean.  The File Manager shows three folders - sda1, sda2, sda3.  (The sda3 folder is empty).

I was told that I should be able to reformat the OS partition and restore from the recovery partition.  So; how do I restore from the recovery partition?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

First...you need to see what Dell says those codes signify.

Use the Dell Interactive Agent, https://www5.nohold.net/Dell/Loginr.aspx?pid=3&ruleid=2591&login=1 and insert each code, one at a time.

Louis

#3 mrmah2

mrmah2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Ok. Thanks for your quick response.

All of these codes refer to hard drive issues, but none seem to be fatal. The first code I listed (2000 0146), DELL tech support applet suggests restoring bios to original default settings, then rebooting. The second code (0f00:065D), did not return a result from the DELL tech app, but did come up in a google search. Results pointed to non-specific hard drive problems, on various forums. I found no definitive cause or solution. The third code (0f00:133C) did not return a result from the DELL tech app, but a google search turned up several tech forums discussing this error. It apparently means (no suitable disk media is present) and either refers to an unrecognized hard drive, or unreadable data on an optical drive. The third code is discussed here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/0f00-133c-error-code-no-suitable-disk-or-media-is/66dcc559-bd4f-4b70-a39e-0dfd7669d596

And here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/0f00-133c-error-code-no-suitable-disk-or-media-is/66dcc559-bd4f-4b70-a39e-0dfd7669d596

Apparently it ( the third error code) might be fixed by running chkdsk.

I'm not trying to recover files or software so a clean restore will work for me. If the disk is damaged I suppose I should repair it first. What's my next move?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Well...you need to run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic...on the drive...to see if it needs "repair".

Hard drives are not typically repaired.

A file system...Windows...those can be repaired.  A hard drive, depending on the severity of the problem, can only be worked around or replaced.

If you run the appropriate diagnostic, you will find out whether it's the drive itself which is the problem...or something else.

Louis

#5 mrmah2

mrmah2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Alright.  According to Dell, and the diagnostics, the drive needs to be replaced.  My new drive arrived in the mail today.  I have connected the old drive to a usb inclosure and checked it with another computer.  The recovery folder containing "pcrestore" and "imagex.exe" seem to be intact.  As i daid before, I can boot the machine with either the "Kaspersky" disc or "Gparted".  I haven't tried any others.

I'm hoping that I can install the new drive, plug in the usb for the old drive, boot into kaspersky and run "Pcrestore" from the old drive.

Please tell me that it's that easy...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users