Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gmail hacked - over 1800 emails sent out to Russia

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 StarGazers

StarGazers

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

Hello,

My gmail was hacked yesterday and a lot of emails were sent out in the space of half an hour (I found out it had happened when I checked my mail during that half hour) which were all - it appears - returned as spam. The person changed the sender name when he sent them out. I managed to change my security, making it much tighter, but I am somewhat paranoid about the mails (which looked to be encrypted to me, but not sure) to to nearly two thousand email addresses ending in .ru.

I considered that my email password was strong, but someone still managed to get in.

My big worry is that information about my credit card accounts, etc., was gathered, though there were no passwords or anything like that in my email account. I am in the process of changing passwords all over the place. Just very paranoid, and such a horrible feeling of someone getting into my account. Paranoid about all the encryption too.

Any suggestions as to what I should still do which I have not yet done (I have removed all the strange contacts, done two-step notification passwords, made a new account for banking only, told friends not to click on any strange links from me, and that's about it) will be much appreciated.

StarGazers

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 March 2013 - 02:10 AM.
Moved to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

I would do some general scans, and post a HJT log etc to the malware removal forum to check if you're infected with some kind of RAT / Keylogger. Change all passwords from a DIFFERENT computer if possible, try to make sure it's clean. Other than this I can't think of anything else you can do. Your mail was used to send emails that could be used for any purpose. I'd also create a new mail account, just incase.

- Agglomerate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users