Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Safety Center (beta)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Varoom

Varoom

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:47 PM

Has anybody here used this sight, how did it go for you?

http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm?s_cid=sah

gc :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:57 PM

Keep in mind that this is a BETA release, that is, a release for public testing thaht may contain bugs or not always work "as advertised"; it should not be relied upon for "mission critical" uses, especially in the area of computer security. By all means try it, but not at the expence of the other applications you have installed, have used, and trust.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Varoom

Varoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:18 AM

Well I tried it, everything went well, it found a couple of problems, one called Swizzor.
anyhow I had it fix those problems it had found, everything was fine until I tried to use the
computer again later tonight, This loading application box popped up wanting to load TrayApp.msi
and there was no way to get rid of it, also a firewall warning about something trying to allow a
shell browser or something.
Soooo, I had to do a hard boot (wouldnt shut off any other way) and did a system restore back to just prior
to using the Windows Live Safety Center....now everything is running fine and all is quiet.

So thats my story and I am sticking to it :thumbsup:

I guess I will leave that Beta alone, it could be just fine and it could have been a problem between
the chair and the computer, wouldnt be the first time.

gc

#4 paulboc

paulboc

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:34 AM

I ran the beta several days ago with good results. It did not find any virus or spy/malware in part due to a hardware firewall (router) and Zone Alarm as a software firewall. I think everyone need both for the highest level of protection. What it did find was some 800 Registry errors despite my use of Error Doctor and RegCleaner. Go figure! My take - it works and its free.

#5 Varoom

Varoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:50 AM

Like I said it could be between the chair and the computer:)

What it fixed is still fixed, I have a call into HP about TrayApp.msi
and why it would come up and where I can find it if this happens again.
I like the whole sit back and let it do its whole thing, good for noobies
I had no registry errors (fairly new computer, my day will come)

I did not like the fact it would not let you print a report of the scan findings, I had to do a couple of alt/printScrn's to save the info.

gc

#6 paulboc

paulboc

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:57 PM

never said I tried to print a report!

#7 Varoom

Varoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:10 PM

I didn't mean you/you, I meant "you" as anybody, as in: nobody can print a report :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users