Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.PDB files and Symbols folder, anyone ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

I was in my 'C' drive very recently, doing a data back-up with Windows Explorer, and saw a folder I hadn't noticed before called 'Symbols'. Curiosity led me to click on it, to discover it contains 4,615 folders each of which has the extension .PDB to a total of 1.63 GB. A quick look on Google came up with the information that these are involved with the Windows debugging software - at least that was my understanding of the information I found !

Searching the Win 7 forum came up with seven references, all of which seemed to involve BSoD, which I am not suffering from. Nor am I a developer or a programmer - if I sit down with the manual and think very hard, I can just about write a simple 'C+' program. I certainly haven't consiously been running debugging software.

Are these files / folders significant ?  Do they indicate a problem ?  Can anyone give a simple explanation of what they are and do ?

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit on an ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N68T-M-V2 (AM3) mobo, with an AMD Athlon II X2 250 CPU and 4 GB of DDR3 RAM, all of which is a little over two years old.

If anyone can scratch my itch of curiosity I will be grateful,

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

Hi Chris -

A link to one site, and some details off the site -

File Type .... Program Database (PDB)
Developer .... N/A
Popularity 5 Star
Category - Database Files
File Format Description - Database file used by several applications, including Pegasus, Quicken, MS Visual Studio, and Palm Pilot software; stores data in a structured format; typically installed with the corresponding application.

NOTE: PDB files used by different programs are usually saved in a proprietary format, meaning they can only be opened by the program they were installed with. For example, an Intuit Quicken PDB file is not recognized by Microsoft Visual Studio.

Regards -

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Fascinating Noknojon,

Thanks for the information, but I am still not a lot wiser !  To the best of my knowledge and belief I do not have any of the software types you mention, nor the types listed in the article you referenced, installed on my computer. However I have been having a hardware problem recently.

An LG SATA DVD drive has been playing up - the activity light has been going through longish spells of flashing with no disc in the drive, and my computer has been taking a long time to boot, hanging at several stages, and once booted giving random short spells of freezing. So I disconnected it this morning and the computer is now booting and running properly. As this is the only problem I have had with this machine in the last few months, could this have anything to do with it ?

But thanks for the info,

Chris Cosgrove

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Someone, at some time...was trying to debug BSOD messages, which use that folder and those types of files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/c-symbols-folder-needed-w7x64-532040.html

Louis

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Hamluis, thanks for the link and the info it supplied.

I am quite willing to believe that someone has been trying to debug bluescreen problems, except it wasn't me !  And I built this computer and it has been sitting on my office desk ever since. I have had my share of niggles with it, but blue screening has not been one of its problems. Hands up, most of them were self inflicted - 'I wonder what happens if I do this ?'.

Since your link says the 'Symbols' folder can safely be deleted, I am minded to do that and see if it reappears at some time in the future.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#6 TinPenny

TinPenny

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:17 AM

I just wish someone would tell me how to get rid of these .pdb files and get my old Windows Explorer for Win 7 Ultimate back.

-I am so tired of looking at these and not being able to use the Windows Explorer.

tinpenny

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:58 AM

To Tinpenny:  You were previously instructed to do the following, in your own Am I Infected topic,:

I recommend you repost this issue.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.

If you truly want to attempt to resolved your situation...it seems to me that you would comply with suggestion above.