Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to merge two hard drives into one big drive in XP?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 finnoodles

finnoodles

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Hi there,

I was given an old computer to tinker around with and I decided to put the hard drive in my current computer to try and create one big hard drive. I'm having a lot of trouble actually doing it though, I remember a colleauge doing it once but I can't remember how. I would really appreciate any help as though I'm not entirely a computer novice, this is really my area of expertise.

I'm not sure but I think the problem is that they have both been used as boot disks and therefore I can't "Extend Volume"? Does that make sense?

I'm not exactly sure if there is a way around this, can I "wipe" one of the drives back to being an empty free space drive?

I've attached an image of the error I get and of my Disk Management interface.

Really, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Well...a 40GB hard drive isn't going to be an overwhelming addition but...I don't know what you mean by "one big drive."  For what purpose, what is it that you want to have accomplished when all is said and done?

Even if what you want is possible...there's really no advantage that would result.  Having Windows on a large partition is a hindrance, rather than an aid to users.

I have to wonder...why have you set up dynamic disks?

FWIW:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726994.aspx

If you can provide more details, it would probably help someone to try to help you :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2013 - 08:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users