Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spilled water, runs fine, do I need to clean the motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cameron25

cameron25

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

I have a HP Pavilion DV7. About 5 days ago I spilled a pretty good amount of water right onto the keyboard and speaker area. 
I realize there is a ton I should have done when it initially happened but I wasn't aware of these things and to busy with college to do anything, so pretty much all that I did was dry it up, didn't even bother to shut off my computer (I realize I broke rule #1 there). However I did get it all dried up off the keyboard within 15 seconds. 
Since then I have done nothing to my computer and it runs fine, all the keys work fine, speakers work fine etc. 
However since I spilled straight tap water I am wondering if the minerals in the water will be enough to corrode my motherboard? 
Also, I saw some things on the internet saying some newer laptops have keyboards that are supposed to drain water and make sure none gets to more internal hardware. Any chance mine has that?
Pretty much, I am wondering if it worth tearing apart a completely good computer to clean the motherboard or is there anything else I should do or should I just cross my fingers and hope for the best?

Thank you, 
Cameron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

after 5 days, any water there is pretty much gone, and even if theres some "on the motherboard" taking it apart and cleaning it, if your not sure what your doing, could cause more damage then good. If its running fine, I'd say leave well enough alone, and in the future be more careful with your drinks, and if you do spill something, turn it off immediatly, remove the battery, dry it off and leave it like that for at least 24 hours or more before putting power to it again.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users