Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing an alarming amount of packets after Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sukino

sukino

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Ever since I updated Windows with the Windows Defender -kb915597 (Definition 1.145.1035.0) update, I have had significant packet loss and can hardly connect to anything on the internet. Sites either take forever to load OR they don't load at all. I did malware scans and virus scans they came up clean.I have checked my connection in my laptop (which I am making this post on because it was impossible on my desktop) and it connect just find and the speed test come out correct. I even called my internet provider and they sent out a tech who said the connection was find as well after various tests. I'm at a loss at what I should do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

I would suggest you to uninstall it.This is a faulty update that is known to cause network issues.If you have an updated antivirus you dont need defender and better disable it.

#3 sukino

sukino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

I hunted around for a way to uninstall the update, but I couldn't find a way too. Is there a certain file I should erase or disable?

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Control panel-Programs & features

Click on View updates.Search for the update-Uninstall

#5 sukino

sukino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

It's not on the list of updates to uninstall. On the definition update itself it says that once it's been installed it cannot be removed. Does that mean I'm just suck with no internet on my desktop then? :/

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Try a system restore

#7 sukino

sukino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

I did it but still having issues with the connectivity. :( When I looked at the list of updates downloaded, it still shows that windows defender update there, so I'm not sure if the system restore did anything.

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

When did you install this update? Do you remember any restore point before that?

Disable your windows defender and try reinstalling your network adapters and see if that helps.

#9 sukino

sukino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

So apparently last night my computer has decided it is done freaking out and the connection is stable. I did speed tests and restarts to make sure it wasn't a false positive, but it seems to be acting right. The only think I did was uninstall avast! since the program was mess up and shut down and before I reinstalled avast! the connection tested back to rights.

So something you told me to do must have started working along with that avast! uninstall or something! In any case thank you SO SO SO much for dealing with me and my problem!

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

:welcome:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users