Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebyte and Superantispyware slow down computer performance?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TomDeLonge

TomDeLonge

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Hi i was just wondering if MBAM and SASW slows down your computer performance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rgerman5

rgerman5

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Muy poco, en realidad es normal, por que trabajan en segundo plano, pero vale la pena.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

""Muy poco, en realidad es normal, por que trabajan en segundo plano, pero vale la pena.""
Translated reply from rgerman5 - Please note that questions and answers are in English on this forum .....

Very little is actually normal, working in the background, but worth it.

The reply is basically correct, but if your computer is infected, it can use more resources at other times -

Thank You -

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

SUPERAntiSpyware Free does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. I recommend to disable startup and use it as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:20 AM

Good morning TomDeLonge!

I would like to +1 what quietman7 said, been using that combo for almost two years now on a desktop and a laptop and they have been effective.

MBAM is always running (along with Avast!) and they place nice together and then, once a week I manually launch SAS, update the definitions, complete a Full Scan and then turn it back off.

MBAM and Avast! have been effective when my Safe Surfing skills haven't been practiced...sometimes I get a little reckless and those two working together have kept my machines clean, thankfully.

Hope that helps.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#6 Cyrus not the Virus

Cyrus not the Virus

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

Hi TomDelonge!

Being a member and first timer in reply. IMHO, SUPERAntiSpyware Free added with Adaware, Spybot S&D2, & Prevx 3.0 will turn your system topsy-turvy. I am crying right now thanks to the damage done. I would not advise any of these four programs. 

Edited by Cyrus not the Virus, 18 March 2013 - 01:55 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

FYI: mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

As for Ad-Aware.

Ad-Aware...have gone into a downhill spiral over the past five years and recently sold the company to Solaria... Majorgeeks stopped listing Ad-Aware as a “pick” some years ago as we watched the quality of the company slip over the years...it can’t stand up to the new generation of anti-spyware applications...

What does the future hold for Ad-Aware?
Lavasoft Controversies

#8 Flux_Capacitor

Flux_Capacitor

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Hi i was just wondering if MBAM and SASW slows down your computer performance.

As on-demand scanners, neither should have any impact when not in use. Both of their pro versions will use up resources in the background, though the impact should be negligible so long as you set up exclusions with your resident AV. HitmanPro is another good anti-malware tool, It scans rapidly and I think you can use it for free to detect malware, you just have to remove it yourself.

#9 Icratox

Icratox

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware pro indeed doesn't use a lot of system resources, I am often running it alongside my AV. It's smart however to make sure you exclude your main Anti-Virus within Malwarebytes' and the other way around to avoid any possible conflicts.

In addition to the above post. After starting Hitmanpro, in settings you can go to the license tab and activate the free license. That enables you to both scan and remove malware detected by the program for a 30-day period. The license can only be activated once ;)

Edited by Icratox, 21 March 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#10 aromack

aromack

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

Personally I use Spybot S&D along with a full version of SAS, been using that combo for about 4-5 years now. The only time I experiance sluggishness from my system is when SAS is in a active scheduled scan.  Otherwise all is good.  I have found that SBS&D will find things that SAS misses and sometimes Visa Versa. I also have MBAM but do not use it very often becuase in my experiance it displays a lot of false positives. Mostly when it comes to game DLL files and .exe.  MBAM seems to love to pick these files out as infected if your games come from Steam, direct2drive/gamefly. 

Thats just my experiance and I am sure others have had no issue.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

Because of its technology, Malwarebytes is much more effective than either Spybot S&D or SAS.

All security scanning tools are susceptible to glitches, bugs and false positive detections from time to time, especially if the scanner uses heuristic analysis technology. Heuristics is the ability of a scanning program to detect possible new variants of malware before the vendor can get samples and update the program's definitions for detection. Heuristics uses non-specific detection methods to find new or unknown malware which allows the anti-virus to detect and stop if before doing any harm to your system. The disadvantage to using heuristics is that it is not as reliable as signature-based detection (blacklisting) and can potentially increase the chances that a non-malicious program is flagged as suspicious or infected.If that is the case, then you can restore the detection and add it to Malwarebytes' exclusion or ignore list.

If you suspect false detections, report them to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Support > False Positives so the Research Team can investigate and make corrections.

Be sure to read the pinned topic at the top of that forum titled Please read before reporting a false positive

#12 gertu

gertu

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

Malware Bytes is using as much resources as firefox.both are heavy on system resources.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:02 PM

Malware Bytes is using as much resources as firefox.both are heavy on system resources.

I have never found that to be the case. However, everyone's system is different and therefore, anti-virus and anti-malware software may perform differently.

#14 gertu

gertu

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:34 AM

quietma7 sorry. i never wanted to harm The very Good Reputaion of malware Bytes nti Malware.Next time i will be careful. sorry.Regrads.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:22 AM

Ok.