Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Share/Sync Files Between 2 PC's Away From Home?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 caligirl45

caligirl45

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hello,

I am looking for a way to share my files between desktop (Win 7) and laptop (Win 8) when I am away from home.

I have a Home Network set up, but it is based on the home Internet connection, so as soon as I leave my house and use my laptop, of course, all the shared files on the network no longer work., I assume this is how it works by default or maybe I can set it up a different way?

I am looking for something that will allow the files to be updated in real time on the desktop as I work on them on the laptop away from home, (just as they do when I am at home working in the Network shared files).

For example: I can work on the files on my laptop and the desktop syncs in real time and NOT have to go to some storage program and download, edit and then reupload and then have to update the desktop when I get home

I have tried Envato and didn't like that at all.

I am a little paranoid of having my files on a cloud, I am hoping there is a way to avoid that, or at least something very secure, I would prefer something free, but of course I know that is not always possible.

Any suggestions or way to do what I need?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Right click on your shared folder in your network and enable offline files. When your away from the network your files will be stored locally. When you connect back they will sync.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Olga Gierowitz

Olga Gierowitz

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Right click on your shared folder in your network and enable offline files. When your away from the network your files will be stored locally. When you connect back they will sync.

Thank you, can you elaborate please on where exactly to right click, I cannot see that setting anywhere and I tried to right click folders from the source location on the desktop and I even tried to right click the folders as they sit in Homegroup heirarchy and even within the Network, I hope I am making sense?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Are you using Windows 7/8 home premium or Pro?

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 Olga Gierowitz

Olga Gierowitz

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Are you using Windows 7/8 home premium or Pro?

Win 7 Home Premium

Edited by Olga Gierowitz, 21 March 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

The offline file sync isn't available on the home premium edition of Windows sorry. There is a better alternative available to all users of Windows Called Sync Toy 2 Its an easy to setup program and How to Geek has an easy to follow guide on setting it up.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 March 2013 - 05:51 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 Olga Gierowitz

Olga Gierowitz

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

The offline file sync isn't available on the home premium edition of Windows sorry. There is a better alternative available to all users of Windows Called Sync Toy 2 Its an easy to setup program and How to Geek has an easy to follow guide on setting it up.

Thank you very much for your help

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

Your very welcome.

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 nnammar

nnammar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:24 AM

good day,

i was checking how to do a synch using the sync option in windows 7

how can i sync my desktop and my document to a shared folder over the network,

can you please describe the steps.

after enabling the offline file how can i specify the folder that i want to synch?

thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users