Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk not working

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DCguy

DCguy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hello everyone!  I've recently run into some disk errors and have been attempting to run the chkdsk utility with no success.  Windows only allows me to run chkdsk in "read-only" mode.  I opened the command prompt and typed in 'chkdsk /f' in order to have chkdsk run on my next system start-up.  However, when I restart my computer it will not run.  It looks as though something tries to start up, but it almost simultaneously disappears.  Does anybody have any possible solutions?  My next course of action after this is to restore my computer and that's something I really do not want to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Are you running it as the administrator?

Go to All Programs> Accessories> right click on Command Prompt> click on Run as administrator.

Edited by dc3, 08 March 2013 - 01:14 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DCguy

DCguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Yep, I was running as an administrator.

#4 DCguy

DCguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Just to update, I used chkdsk /f and made my computer boot directly into safe mode.  That still didn't work.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Try chkdsk c:/f

C: should be the hdd where Windows is installed, if that is not the case use the appropriate letter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

use an "r" in place of the "f" - it automatically invokes the "f' as well as repairs the errors

#7 DCguy

DCguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

C:/Windows/system32>chkdsk C:/f
The type of the file system is NTFS
Cannot lock current drive

It then prompts me to restart pressing Y/N again.  I tried it and it still didn't work.

@Dolby I tried that method as well.  Yet again, it prompts me to restart and the chkdsk utility still will not run

Edited by DCguy, 08 March 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#8 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

...when you say "restore", are you talking about "recovery", as in reformat? If so, try "restore" to an earlier date first - pick one you think should be before the errors you are having, but not as far back as when you had a known infection, or other major issue...

#9 DCguy

DCguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

It won't let me "restore" to an earlier date because my C drive has errors.  They have to be fixed before I can do anything like that.  

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

Try running the chkdsk from Computer.

Go to Start, Computer, right click on the hdd that the operating system is installed, click on Properties, click on Tools.

Under tools you will find Error-checking and the Check now button, click on the Check now button.  Place a check mark in both options and click on Start.

#11 DCguy

DCguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Just tried it.  I'm prompted to restart again and after restarting, it still does not run the chkdsk utility.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Let's check something out, it's possible that the BootExecute data value in the Registry has been changed or corrupted.  We can check this, but it involves the possibility of having to edit the Registry.  If mistakes are made during this it can damage the Registry which could render your computer inoperable.  For this reason you should back up the Registry.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT

• Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

To access the Registry type in regedit in the search box and click on regedit in the result space above the search box.

You now should see a page similar to the one below.

registrysnip_zps5dd5b3c6.png

Notice that there are clear diamonds to the left of the Registry option, click on the one by HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand the list.

The path you want is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

After you have expanded the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE scroll down till you find System and expand it.  You will do that with each of the five items in the path.

Once you have done this you should see a picture like the one below.  Make sure the value is set at autocheck autochk *

Registry2_zpsf3c04bd0.png

If the value is not set at autocheck autochk *  lsdelete right click on BootExecute and choose modify.  Note: lsdelete may not show until choose modify, if it does show then the value is correct.  If the value is not correct, highlight the value in the Modify box and enter autocheck autochk *  lsdelete and click on OK.

Exit the Registry.

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Does your attempt to run chkdsk produce a log in Event viewer? Read the Event Viewer Log for Check Disk

#14 DCguy

DCguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

@  dc3, Everything seems to be in order.  The data value is correct.

@ Union Thug  It does not produce a log.  All it says is this:

"Chkdsk was executed in read-only mode.  A volume snapshot was not used. Extra errors and warnings may be reported as the volume may have changed during the chkdsk run."

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

<<Under tools you will find Error-checking and the Check now button, click on the Check now button.  Place a check mark in both options and click on Start.>>

This does not result in chkdsk running in read-only mode.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users