Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Irfanview problem with viewing folders with Chinese characters

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 andrewbaldwin

andrewbaldwin

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

I've recently bought a Windows 8 64-bit desktop system after my old Win XP system died due to power supply and MB failure. One of my most used applications is Irfanview, a freeware image viewer and batching program.

Right now, I am experiencing a problem with Irfanview not displaying the Chinese characters in my folders correctly. I will attach screenshots so if you're so inclined, please have a look, it's easier to explain that way. Basically, Irfanview relies on a Unicode plugin to allow the program to browse Unicode folders, and also to open files with Unicode filenames.

On Windows 8, the plugin still works, but now Chinese characters are displaying as nonsense. I am still able to browse folders and open files, but in a way half-blind because of the gibberish characters. I have other computers running XP, Vista, and even Windows 7, but in all cases Irfanview is working.

I have been in touch with Irfan, the developer, who unfortunately has no solution for now. I have tried adding Traditional Chinese display language, changing the system locale etc, but to no result. My guesses now are toward Windows 8 display font (no Chinese characters?), or the font that Irfanview uses to display Chinese characters are not working the same way in Windows 8 compared to previous versions.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

--Andrew

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users