Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot Vista from 2nd hardrive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 knaball

knaball

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Hello everyone. Wonderful forum here!

My problem goes as follows....my 7yr old son was playing some online games and picked up the bootsect.bak virus. The 700 pages that were up must have overloaded my already failing combo of psu, graphics card, and mother board as every capacitor on the graphics card popped, heated up enough to melt the fan/heatsink off the card and blow a couple capacitors on the motherboards pcie rail. So yes very toasty PC.

Anyway I already have new hardware being delivered and should be here by Monday. So I put my HD into a spare PC which they both have Vista32 OS and are seagate 250gb HD's. I was able to cleanup the infected HD with malewarebytes and had to do the unhide.exe also to get everything to show. It seems like I still can't get to ALOT of my files ie all my pictures, videos, music etc and my software ie Office and Quickbooks.

I figured I might be able to get to them by booting up with the exinfected HD. I get to the Windows load screen and it just loops back and reboots... 

Another strange thing is it says I only have 17gb left on this HD and I usally run less then 75% capacity. 

I ran Rkill and a quick scan with malwarebytes but nothing showed this time so I am hoping I am clean.

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2013 - 10:58 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Neither MS Office nor Quickbooks...stores data files inside the program itself...generally a program creates a storage file for its use or will merely link to existing file locations wherever such may be.

Reference for Quickbooks, http://news.sequimpc.com/software/intuit/quickbooks/where-does-quickbooks-store-its-data-files-and-what-extension-do-the-files-have/ .

You may want to read http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html .

As for the malware aspects of your situation, I don't have the wisdom to comment on such...but I will move this topic to a forum which can try to appropriately assist you with questions about such.

As for booting with a hard drive from a different system...this is a known "setting yourself up for failure" effort, due to drivers, license, and Windows settings on the hard drive...not matching up with the actual Windows-detected hardware settings.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#3 knaball

knaball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Thank you Louis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users