Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD My Passport 1T became RAW

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 payam.as

payam.as

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hi everyone,

i was using my hard disk in windows 7 suddenly windows asked me if i want to make my hard MBR or GDR or something like that and i chose MBR then all of my data on my hard disk get wiped out and in disk management it became RAW format.

so far i just gave it a drive letter nothing else and i wanted to know if there is any way i can get my data back?

Please help.

Edited by payam.as, 08 March 2013 - 10:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Hi

For your situation, Find and Mount might be able to recover your partition for free.

http://findandmount.com/

Let us know if that works.

James

#3 payam.as

payam.as
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

Thank you james for your prompt answer.

i tried all of the 3 ways which find and mount offers none of them seems to work.

i just download TestDisk and i did a quick search but it didnt work either. i dont know if deeper search would help me and i should give it time or not?

do you have any alternative for my situation?

PS. in the first post i said windows asked MBR or GDR but on the second thought it asked MBR or GPT and i chose MBR.....

Edited by payam.as, 09 March 2013 - 05:25 AM.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

It sounds like the drive may have been erased in a manner that overwrote the data. You can try a paid recovery solution like one of the many programs that offer free trials to see if they can find your data and then charge you for a key to finish recovering.

My suggestion was based on the assumption that all you did was alter the first sector of the hard drive but apparently more has happened than that. Whatever happened to cause the first sector to be damaged or erased and then ask you to initialize the drive (choose MBR or GPT) seems to have affected more than the first sector. The other possibility is that you were trying to access an encrypted drive but that does not sound like the case since you stated that it suddenly happened during normal usage.

Wish I had better news.

James

#5 payam.as

payam.as
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Thank you again,

I think what happened had something to do with the ubuntu live i had installed on my hard disk.

can you give me the name of a good paid recovery software? there are too many of them and i'm a little confused which one offers the best, money is not a issue for me even if you think a professional can do more than a paid recovery software i'm willing to send it to a pro.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

I'm not sure where you are so here is a good starting point for finding a reputable company that specializes in the drive that you have issues with...

http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp

Hope this helps.

James

#7 payam.as

payam.as
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for your advise,

i sent it to WD company and with less than 50$ all of my data is back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users