Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla updates Firefox to 19.0.2 in response to Pwn2own issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/03/08/mozilla-updates-firefox-to-19-0-2-in-response-to-pwn2own-issue/

This year, all three major browsers – Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox -  were successfully exploited by security experts. As far as Firefox goes, security firm VUPEN managed to exploit the browser using a “user-after-free” memory flaw that it combined with an ASLR/DEP memory exploit. Both ASLR and DEP are part of the Windows operating system that help protect the system’s memory against exploits.

If you are a user of Firefox you may have noticed that a new version is available already, bringing the version of Firefox on the stable channel to 19.0.2 The patch is a direct result of the Pwn2own exploit that was used by Vupen to exploit the Firefox web browser on Windows.

snip...

The Firefox 19.0.2 release notes highlight that this is the only change in this version of the browser. The release notes link to a security advisory page...

Security Advisories for Firefox

Edited by Union_Thug, 08 March 2013 - 06:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:55 AM

I was not updated...and now I am.

>bows<   

Thanks for the info / post.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hmmm...updated to 19.0.2 in Win 7 x64 Virtual Machine, Firefox "crashed" twice...both times after closing the browser (X button) got Windoze dialog stating Firefox has stopped working... well duuuuh, I just closed it wtf? :crazy:

Anyone else? I tried to recreate it to get screenshots/explanation but of course when I WANTED it to crash, it wouldn't :whistle:

#4 AlbertBarkley

AlbertBarkley

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:11 AM

Still I did not update firefox but will update today..

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

So far since yesterday, Union Thug, I have had any problems with Ff and use W7x64.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

So far since yesterday, Union Thug, I have had any problems with Ff and use W7x64.

Thank you, nor have I. Guess the problem I had was just a "glitch"?

Edited by Union_Thug, 11 March 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#7 manshu18

manshu18

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hmmm...updated to 19.0.2 in Win 7 x64 Virtual Machine, Firefox "crashed" twice...both times after closing the browser (X button) got Windoze dialog stating Firefox has stopped working... well duuuuh, I just closed it wtf? :crazy:

Anyone else? I tried to recreate it to get screenshots/explanation but of course when I WANTED it to crash, it wouldn't :whistle:

download fresh copy or update it to 21 version..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users