Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Hard Drive In New Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 coolum

coolum

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:42 PM

I just bought a new computer and I want to know if it is possible to put my old hard drive in the new computer and transfer the files. My old computer will not even turn on, so I want the files transferred to the new computer. Also, will I be able to take the old hard drive out and get rid of it once I have transfered the files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

I just bought a new computer and I want to know if it is :thumbsup: possible to put my old hard drive in the new computer and transfer the files. My old computer will not even turn on, so I want the files transferred to the new computer. Also, :flowers: will I be able to take the old hard drive out and get rid of it once I have transfered the files?

:inlove: Yes. You can simple set the old drive's jumper as slave. Install it on the same EIDE cable as the Master dive in the new computer, and plug in the power. When you turn the computer on your will see the old drive as the next drive letter. Open two explorer windows and drag and drop the files you want.

:trumpet: Yes. Just reverse the proccess. You could format the drive and use it as a drive to back up your data.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:03 PM

I put the old hard drive in but all the big cables are hooked up to my to dvd drives. I tried to take the big cable from my old computer and hook it up but, i'm not sure if I neded to have 1 drive as a master and the other as a slave. There are no letters on my hard drives to let me know which slot to put the plastic piece in for master,slave, etc. When I went on line after hooking everything up, the computer told me to check my discs and unplug any newly attached hardware. I unplugged the old hard drive and left it in my new computer instead of doing too much tinkering with it, and have just used the new hard drive.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:22 PM

Does the new hard drive have a small cable coming from it? Do you know if you have a SATA hard drive?

#5 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:14 AM

it has a small red cord. The computer is a HP but I don't know the type of hard drive

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:34 AM

Download and run Everest Home 2.2. It will tell you everything about you hardware. You may have to unplug you slave CD and connect the old dive till you transfer over everything.

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:37 PM

Well the small red cord is a SATA drive (new fancy hard drive). What you will need to do is take an IDE cable that came with your motherboard (but I think the one in the old computer will work if you can't find it) and then you have to plug it into the IDE port on the motherboard. I am pretty sure you will have to set the jumper to Master since it is the only drive on the ribbon.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:49 PM

Be very careful around the SATA cables. The motherboard connectors and the connectors on the hard drive are easy to break if you brush your hand against them. I just replaced a motherboard for a guy whose computer wouldn't start and he "wiggled the cables" to get it going again. Pulling the SATA plug from the motherboard can pull the connector off with it. The support for the plug on the hard drive is easy to snap, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users