Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Sharing Only Works One Direction

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Reflektionz98

Reflektionz98

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:27 PM

I am running windows XP Home on both computers, which are connected through a hub. Computer A is directly connected to the internet and Computer B accesses the internet through computer A. Both computers can ping each other, and access the internet without any problems. Computer A can view shared files on computer B perfectly.

The problem is computer B can see Computer A in the workgroup, and ping it, but cannot view it's shared files. I have run the network setup wizard on both pc's again to try to fix this but produced no better results. File and printer sharing is enabled and shared folders are not locked or hidden.

What am I missing to make this work? Thanks in advance!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:10 PM

Have you set the permission to allow access to the "A" computer?

Is there a reason why you are not using a router? That is a vital part of a layered secured home networked. I recommend a NAT router even if a user has only one computer. No one layer can do it all, but many layers make it very difficult.

Antivirus
Router
(Firewall Hardware)
Antispyware (much as your computer's resources will tolerate)
Firewall Software (other than XP's)

While not bullet proof, it come very close. Sorry if I was off topic, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Reflektionz98

Reflektionz98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

Actually these two pc's are a subnetwork under the primary.Computer A ,I said directly connects the the internet but that is not exactly the case. It connects wireless to my neighbor's linksys router, but I only have one wireless adapter to work with, so to access the internet from my other pc (:thumbsup:, I have to use ICS on computer A.so Actually I am behind a router. But for all network setup it concerned, computer A has to be listed as a direct connection to the internet for ICS to work.

I have had this setup before and everything worked smoothly, but computer B went down for a while, then computer A was reformatted and xp reinstalled. Now I am just trying to get things back to the way they were.

So I know it can be done,as I have done it before, but I can't figure out what I am missing.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users