Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Renaming of system files with sequential numbers

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 D-GPC

D-GPC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

Hi all,

Have just discovered a "new" problem on a Vista machine and wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Especially on a bulk-rename utility that might help (linux or windows OK for the util).

Something has gone through the entire system (system and user files) and renamed the majority of the files to filename(number).ext, eg winload(49283).exe.  Each file seems to have a unique and sequential number.

Because of this, the system fails to boot.

I'll attach a directory listing from the affected windows folder (again, not just the windows folder).

I've fixed a hell of a lot of machines for people over the years. This is the first time I have seen something like this. Am hoping someone else has?

Thanks in advance for shedding any light on this.

(And no, system restore is not an option - that's also been affected to some degree!)

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2013 - 10:26 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users