Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer blue screened repeatedly after going inside case, now won't boot at all

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kelbrina

Kelbrina

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Hello everyone! I have received excellent help here in the past and was hoping you lovely folks might be able to help me out with my newest problem.

My boyfriend's computer case's button has been on the fritz for a month now. You could tell it was going to stop working (mechanical failure), and it did this Tuesday. Button was fully depressed and non-functional. I tried prying it up and it didn't work. So I opened the case to see what I could see. The button is located on the top of the case and you could only access it by removing the CD drive, so I did and set it aside. I kind of wiggle and poked at the button from both sides and got it to un-depress. I left the CD drive out and plugged everything back in and turned it on. Booting up took quite awhile and once it got to the login screen it blue screened on me. Several reboots and blue sceens later, it offers us a windows start up repair. It does that and lo and behold the computer gets to the desk top and everything is fine! My boyfriend plays some LoL all night and all is well, he goes to bed and leaves it on because the button broke again. 

We woke up the next morning and it had blue screened again overnight while idling. Uh oh. It won't boot up properly and we lots of blue screens and startup repair offers but nothing works. So, I call ibuypower (who made it) for help, and they helped me reroute the power button to the reset button so we can at least turn it off and on right. He then has me remove one ram stick and the computer boots up but runs a check disk. The check disk said it was finished, but the computer wouldn't reboot, so he had me forcibly reboot after like 10 minutes and we skip the check disk this time. We then run a memory check on the one stick, 15 passes, and he tells me to do it on the other stick and call him back if it finds anything. After the 15 passes were over (eternity), I reboot and go to the desktop and it blue screens again, woohoo. I reboot again and notice all of the progams that boot at start up are popping up and claiming about corruption and to run a check disk. I call them back and talk to a different guy and he says my hard drive is probably crapping out and to mail in the hard drive and they will mail us a new one.  

Today at work I stole a hard drive from a computer and brought it home to see if we could get things working with that. I plug it in and boot up and I can't even get to the windows login screen, it just shuts down and reboots and asks to do a startup repair, which then subsequently fails. The comments mention something about "AutoFailOver."

So now I don't know what to do this. This computer isn't even a year old work. Initially, the only problem was stupid button, but by going into the case I apparently freaked it the heck out! All I did was unplug the CD drive; I didn't touch anything else! How could things go so wrong? :(

This is the computer in question: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227411

Any help would be very, very greatly appreciated. I fear he will start to want to use my computer while his is out of commission, and we can't have that!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hi Kelbrina.

The first thing you will need to do is stop blaming yourself. It is extremely unlikely that you could have damaged the hard drive by opening the case or removing the optical drive. The hard drive died on its own or was perhaps pushed by the failing switch. In either case, they should be treated as two seperate faults.

You can't just take a hard drive from one computer and put it into another unless they are identical builds. Windows will load software for the components in the computer it was installed in. This will conflict with the components in the second computer and BSODs are almost guaranteed.

The power button is a simple momentary switch. When you press it, the two wires are shorted and the motherboard knows you want it to turn on or turn off. Holding the button for 4 to 10 seconds will force the computer to shut down improperly. This can damage files on the hard drive.

Since the computer is less than a year old and it comes with a one year warrantry, see if you can get the manufacturer to repair it. With luck they will have an agent nearby and you may be looking at 1 or 2 days without it.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

You can't just take a hard drive from one computer and put it into another unless they are identical builds. Windows will load software for the components in the computer it was installed in. This will conflict with the components in the second computer and BSODs are almost guaranteed.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer and the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users