Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless-g Router And Wireless-b Adapter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:50 PM

Hello all!

Can I use a Linksys Wireless G router (WCG200-CC) with a Linksys Wireless B adaptor (WPC11) in a laptop? Will this work? Are they compatable?

Thanks!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:29 PM

yes, you can configure it to use , g or b or both
under wireless tab
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:39 PM

Thanks snapper, can you elaborate? On what computer will I find the 'wireless' tab. Are you talking about the computer that is wired, or the wireless laptop? Where is the tab?

Thanks!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:25 PM

The user guide for your router can be found on this page WGC200 if you open the user guide and look at chapter 5 under 'Basic Wireless Settings' it tells you how to set the router for g-only, b-only or mixed networks. You change the settings by logging on to the router by typing it's address into your web browser. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 04 April 2006 - 06:28 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:21 AM

Now I get it! Thanks.

BTW, linky no worky.

EDIT: I have found the info on the linksys.com web site. I had been to the website first, but for some reason could not find the needed info, thanks for steering me back there. From the site:

The built-in Wireless-G Access Point allows up to 32 wireless devices to connect to your network at a blazing 54Mbps, without running cables through the house. It's also compatible with Wireless-B devices, at 11Mbps. The Gateway's Router function ties it all together and lets your whole network share that high-speed Internet connection.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 05 April 2006 - 06:54 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:17 PM

Dunno what happened with that link, sorry. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

UPDATE:

The router info on the website referred to in this thread is for the WCG200. I was using model WCG200-CC. The CC stands for ComCast, and the set up is a little different. There actually is no settings to change to make it work with a Wireless B adaptor. It does so automatically.

Thanks for your help!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users