Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to backup my system?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Here's my situation, I have Windows7 64-bit. When I installed it, it created 2 partitions. One of them is a 100mb partition that I believe contains boot information.
So when I backup my system I need a program that will back up all data on the hard drive, from both partitions.

I don't want to backup just windows settings and my documents, codecs and drivers, I want to be able to backup everything to a second drive. I want to be able to do these backups like once or twice a week (I only have about 200GB of data on my primary drive).

I also want to be able to do these backups, and restorations via a program on a DVD or Flash Drive.

I attempted to do a cloning of my primary drive. It worked perfectly, with one little problem, it set the newly cloned drive as the active partition, the active windows, and so every time I would turn on my computer it would boot from the slow mechanical backup drive, rather than my super fast SSD drive. My only remedy to this situation was to physically disconnect the backup drive, use the windows installation disk to repair my system so I could boot from my SSD again. Even disabling the backup drive from BIOS didn't correct this problem, it either continued to boot from the backup drive or just refuse to boot into anything.

So that was my first problem with cloning the drive “byte by byte, partition by partition.”

My second problem would be this scenario:
I am using a 256 (or 254) gig SSD with 2 necessary partitions. If I do a drive cloning, I will be erasing all data, and all partitions on my back up drive (a 2TB mechanical drive).
So, if I do clone the drive, and make sure that none of the cloned partitions get marked as active, I will be unable to make a 3rd or 4th primary partition on the backup drive, because every time I clone the primary, it will delete all partitions on the backup. Or at least that is what I suspect would happen. If so, that means I have a 2TB drive for backups, which will never hold more than 256GB, talk about a waste .

So again, I need something that can backup my system, a two partition system, without deleting additional partitions on the backup drive, and I need to be able to restore a backup from either a DVD or Flashdrive, in case I have to reformat the primary drive.

I know this all sounds like a mess, and it would be so much easier to backup my system if it only had one partition.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

It looks like you need Acronis:, http://www.acronis.com/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users