Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AC Adapter.. is it safe?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IKnew

IKnew

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

My AC adapter i normally use for my laptop short circuited. (AC adapter made clicking noises then stopped working)

When I looked around in my garage to see if I had a replacement adapter, I found an AC adapter that had a head that fit into my laptop, but had less output voltage then the one that had been using.

Is it safe to use this AC adapter I found until the new one I ordered arrives?

The AC adapter that normally use has specs of:
Input: 100-240V - 1.5A 50/60HZ

Output: 19v-3.42A

The AC adapter I found has specs of:

Input: 100-240V -1.2A-0.5A 50/60HZ

Output 16v-3.36A

When I use this AC adapter I found, the battery level is stuck at 32% with 10hr 01min remaining.

I read somewhere that if the laptop tries to draw more power from an adapter then it is normally capable of, the adapter will short circuit, would it be safer if I used "power saver mode" for power options instead of "high performace" that I normally use?

Should I take out the battery???

Edited by IKnew, 07 March 2013 - 06:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IKnew

IKnew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

2nd Question. I have a AC adapter, of the same laptop, that I had to replace with the new one because it's head broke off. Would it be possible to attach the head of the Adapter that short circuited to the adapter that's head broke off? Would it work?

Edited by IKnew, 07 March 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

Hi

The answer to both questions is NO.

Buuuuut, my unofficial answer that I take no responsibility for in the event that it causes damage (it might) is...

The old one is 64.98W (19*3.42) and the one you found in the garage has less wattage, 53.76W so it probably wont hurt anything.

I would only plug it in to charge the battery and then run it off of the battery instead of running it plugged into the AC adapter.

On the second question, what exactly do you mean by the 'head'? If you mean the plug that plugs into the labtop's power jack then I need to know what kind it is since some have 2 wires but others have more than two and can be difficult to work out which wires go together without some careful preparation.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users