Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does rkill work on Windows Server 2003

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jljl

jljl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

I searched and could not find the answer to this question.

My server has been infiltrated by someone entering through the guest user account (I believe) and adding many users and using my server for nefarious purposes.

I have it mostly cleaned up and access blocked (I hope) but would like to make sure that I have everything removed and cleaned.

I was going to run rkill, but thought I would ask here before I ran it if it would work on Server 2003.

Thanks,

Josh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Yes, it will run.

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

I don't think it would hurt to try it for yourself; sometimes that's what you have to do to figure something out; try by trial and error. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

I have run this program several times in Windows Server, it ran fine, although sometimes it was a bit particular about when it would run. It is like the above post, trial and error. You could try using it, and if it fails, you could always look manually if you have experience with a tool such as ProcMon. A quick search on Google can do wonders. Goodluck.

- Agglomerate

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Just a note to others reading this topic. Trial and error is a good way to find a solution to a problem however you should make every attempt to create a restore point or system back up before doing anything "unknown" Especially in a server environment where Data is at risk.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

I probably should have mentioned that.  I guess I just think it common knowledge, though usually before most installs, Windows automatically creates a restore point; I've never seen an installation that doesn't automatically do that for you; I've had that come to my advantage a couple of times a couple months ago when I realized that microsoft NetMon is not compatible with VMware Workstation's Internet connectivity driver.  But I've never felt the need to break up my backup schedule just for an application install, though it is kind of pointless since restore points are created automatically for you. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

I would never rely on automatic restore points for important data if you crash the hard drive the restore points go with it.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users