Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mralan45

mralan45

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Will I have to stop using Win XP  when Microsoft discontinues support around April 2014?

Edited by mralan45, 07 March 2013 - 01:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

HI,

The simple answer is no it will still run so you can keep on using it if you so desire.

However there will most likely be no more security updates from that point on.

So you will want to be sure that you have a good antivirus running as it will be more and more vulnerable to Malware. In My Opinion.

What it means is no more support of any kind. At that point it will be 12 years old Approximately. So it might be time to move to a newer and better OS anyway. I for example find many nifty improvements in Windows 7 versus Windows XP.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 07 March 2013 - 01:08 PM.
Clarity

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

You'll still be able to run it. But dropping of support means no more updates, and probably no new apps and loss of updates for a lot of apps. I suggest you move on to something like Windows 7/8... 

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Must agree with all of the above - I am about to junk the XP ........  :lmao:

I suggest you move on to something like Windows 7... .......

Put away $1 per day, and purchase a new Windows 7 DVD - It will be enough to pay for the DVD (providing your Computer is still running OK).

Think 12 or 18 months down the track, and you may even need a new computer, so grab a Windows 7 now and pay it off if needed.

My XP is now in Safe Mode with Networking, as that is all it will run, so another Win 7 is on the way soon -

XP Hard Drive is shot, and CPU is giving very odd readings. Time to swap to a Refurbed or New computer now.

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users