Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spotlight returns no results other than web searches and preferences

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bake141

bake141

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

A few days after I tried installing Microsoft Office from their website spotlight results started tacking longer to return and now it doesn't return any results.  I tried a suggestion online to rebuild the metadata through the command line.

Here's the command I ran and the message I received:

$ mdimport /Applications

2013-03-07 08:27:49.170 mdimport[99661:707] Error loading /Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Office:  dlopen(/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Office, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:
            /Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Office: mach-o, but wrong architecture
2013-03-07 08:27:49.171 mdimport[99661:707] Cannot find function pointer OfficeImporterPluginFactory for factory BFA4E323-1889-11D9-82C8-000A959816BE in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7fe8f2c49130 </Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)

(Error) Import: Could not create instance for plugIn 'file://localhost/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft%20Office.mdimporter/'
(Error) Import: BAD IMPORTER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ file://localhost/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft%20Office.mdimporter/

I've tried moving all the Microsoft Office related files to the trash but the error message is still the same.

Any help from the community would be very appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Which version of Office?

#3 bake141

bake141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for replying.

I ended up going to the apple store and the techs there were able to fix it. I didn't understand the details but the process involved rebooting and deleting a preferences file related to spotlight, then rebuilding the index.

The problem no longer exists, so this thread can be closed.

Edited by bake141, 16 March 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

They likely nuked the Spotlight plist file in the Library folder (plist files are the Mac OS' way of doing preference files).

In general, deleting a plist file and then rebooting will cause the plist file to be re-created.  So, if the plist file is corrupted, then this is usually the way to fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users