Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Reformat/uninstall/anything..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ttophone

ttophone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

Hi I downloaded "FebCTP_5308_32bit_Main_Staged_DVD" from some download.microsoft.com place and I installed it. My computer has 700mb ram and a Raedon 9550SE graphic card.. so it cant really support it. It lags like hell and I cant even play any games... so uhh I was wondering if there is anyway to reformat or reinstall windows xp back. I did about 3 hours of googling and tried everything. I noticed that there is a way to reformat.. but I could not figure out how to reformat. Here is a couple of methods I tried to reformat..
I restarted with my windows xp recovery cd, it didnt find it. (it didnt even say press any key to boot from disc, just loaded vista) I even tried F12 and chose the CD rom boot.. and that didnt even work.
I tried to use disk management but I only had like 8mb accolcated or something and I did make a new volume of it.. and its F: but it doesnt have any files and I dont know how to boot from that.
I tried to boot from some floopy thing, but I didnt really know how to set one up and it didnt really work.
I tried to boot from safe mode with command prompt and type format c: but of course those files were in use so it didnt let me..

Also some info, here is my boot thing...
turn on comp
dell logo
2 options show
-Legacy (pre-longhorn..)
-I choose this, then two more options (its before when I had win xp, it worked)
-Windows XP Pro (what I always chose, when XP worked fine)
-Windows (never worked)
-Microsoft windows
-after this, it just loads up vista..

Whenever I choose the pre legacy thing, none of the options even work.. just a black screen =(

I dont even care about all the files on my comp.. I just want to get a clean xp do it all over.. please if there is any other method of reformating.. please tell me! Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:48 PM

You cannot format and clean install with a recovery CD alone.

You need a full "Retail" CD to do that

OR

Use a 3rd party formatting / partitioning software tool

Hope this explains your struggle.
JU$T1N~1

#3 ttophone

ttophone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, it is full retail. but how do I get a 3rd party formatting/partitioning tool? I got partionmagic something but whenver I start it... it says:
Init failed: Error 117.
Partitions drive letter cannot be indefined.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:40 PM

Have you tried uninstalling FebCTP_5308_32bit_Main_Staged_DVD?
Can you see the files in the recovery CD once it is popped in?
Have you tried System Restore, assuming there is a restore point prior to installing that file.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:48 AM

go to this website http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ also go to www.maxtor.com and download their disk utiliy i have used it on several computers and it has always worked for me i would try the ultimate boot cd first if that doesn't work go to boot disk.com and download the windows 98 bootdisk ,make sure you have blank floppy boot from a: drive and at a:prompt type in fdisk then follow the direction you want to delete the partition and the create a partition and after that restart you comp.and at a: type in format c: that will format your hardrive then it will be like new.but before you do all of that make sure you have a full version of of the operating system you want to install.

#6 buck65

buck65

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

I don't know if this is still a problem for you but definately try the Ultimate boot disk, I'm sure it will solve your problem, or atleast give you the tools to fix it yourself. Good luck.

#7 Woolmer

Woolmer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:45 AM

the picture they compare XP and Vista screens the xp one looks so much easier to read - which is a good thing the Vista one looks like it has so many things on the one window

kaleem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users