Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what is a file in format $NtUninstallB970430$

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Bar

Chris Bar

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Have a few of these type files $NtUninstallXXXXXXX$ and a whole potful of them on my laptop.  Should I leave them alone or can they be removed?

Had run the AVG tuneup and it found over 1000 registry problems [I am leaving it alone based on BC suggestions in existing posts] and it also found well over 1000 un-necessary junk files. 

I made a screen scan so that I can see all the files it identified, and although I might find them manually, [AVG tuneup dumps the found problems right back into your computer if you do not buy their product immediately], I do not know if I should just leave them alone.

Both computers run just fine and fast, until I installed AVG, which did find a few trojans and a few tracking cookies..not a big deal.  I recognize that the AVG scan function is additive to the overall process which thus slows it down.  MALWAREBYTES takes care of the cookies but apparently not trojans.  I do not know if free software exists that does the same as AVG tuneup [to find the junk files], or if it can be done manually.

Natually, any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

Those are the folders of files needed to uninstall the related Windows update hotfixes.  Check on any of the corresponding
update 'hotfixes'. CHeck on any at the corresponding http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;xxxxxx page. If you are
happy that you will not want to uninstall the fix, just delete the folder concerned

Louis

#3 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for the info...thought it might be something like that, but was not sure.  Many thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Easily done, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users