Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not running properly in normal mode

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 thafrogggg

thafrogggg

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

I have an odd problem. 

1 When I boot up normally, My PC is extremely sluggish.

2 Web browsers take forever to load, or will not load at all.

3 If I try to open the task manager (CTRL/ALT/DEL), the computer gets really sluggish and eventually I get an error message stating "Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog" "Failure - Security Options" and then I have to reboot. 

4 I hear constant disk activity.

If I boot under safe mode, my system is much more stable (obivously since I am able to start this thread).

I have run both super antispyware, and spybot search and destroy (after updating the definitions) and neither showed anything out of the ordinary other than the normal tracking cookies.  One thing to note is I had to manually update the definitions on SAS as I could not get them to download through the program. I got the definitions through a link from here. 

I have also run the following programs to check for infections etc.,

Malwarebytes Anti-RootKit......Nothing found

Rougekiller..... It found the following: Registry Entries: [HJ DESK] HKLM\[...]\NewStartPanel : {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee} (1) -> REPLACED (0)
[HJ DESK] HKLM\[...]\NewStartPanel : {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} (1) -> REPLACED (0)

I believe the replaced is the correction Rougekiller made to the registry.

I thought my HDD might be going bad (it is a bit over 5 years old) so I downloaded HDDScan -3.3 and looked at the S.M.A.R.T. To me it seems normal, but I could be wrong.

I have also downloaded HijackThis and am ready to run a scan/post a log if needed.

My Operating System is Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2 installed)

Any help with this is really appreciated. Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

How large is the hdd, and how much free space do you have on it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 thafrogggg

thafrogggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

The Computer is a Dell Studio XPS 435MT

The HDD is a Seagate ST3750528AS  750gb HDD split to two partitions (C: & E:)  The C: Partition 638gb total with 435gb free

Also just in case, the processor is an Intel Core i7 920 running at 2.67ghz,  The system has 6gb of ram installed.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

There are two things that I would like you to do.

To find out what condition your hdd is in I would like you to run a diagnostic scan.  Most all manufacturers have a diagnostic tool which you can either run from the download or they have a ISO download which you burn to a CD and boot from it.  The second option may be the quickest in your case.  In order to do this we need to know who the manufacturer of your hdd is.  Normally I would suggest downloading a programs which will show you this information, but as slow as your computer is it would be quicker to just open the case and look at the hdd for this information.  Touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity before you touch anything in the case.  Please post this information.

The other thing I would like for you to do is run a check disc, this will be slow, but may be the answer to solving this. 

Click on the Start orb, click on Computer, right click on the hdd which has the operating system on it, click on Properties, click on the Tools tab.

Under Tools you will see Error-checking and a button with Check now in it, Click on Check now.

You may be prompted for your administrative pass word, if you use a pass word enter it, if you don't use on press Enter.

You will see two options for scans, Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.  Click on both and then click on Start.

Edited by dc3, 08 March 2013 - 09:18 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 thafrogggg

thafrogggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

I will get on this when I get back to the house in a couple of hours. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

I'll be around.

#7 thafrogggg

thafrogggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

My HDD is a seagate Barracuda 7200.12.  I have downloaded Seagate Seatools for Dos and burned it to a bootable DVD and run that.  I was able to run the short DST which completed without errors.  However, when I ran the long test, it made it to about 84% and then I had a load of "gibberish" ascii text appear on the screen that was unfortunately too small to read.  I will try and run that one again if needed.  It took about 2.5 hours to get to 84%.

When I tried to do the error checking, I received a pop up window saying I can not check the disk while it is in use.  I had it scheduled to run when I next boot (which I am going to do now).  I will report back on the results in a few minutes.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

It looks like you hdd is in trouble.

See if you can use Ubuntu to recovery your data.

How to use Ubuntu to recover data from a hard drive.

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.  To do this please download ImgBurn.

When you open ImgBurn you will see a page like the one below.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on Write image file to disc outlined in red.

The next page to open will be like the one below.

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Click on the icon of the folder and magnifing glass outlined in red to the right of Source to locate the Ubuntu ISO file.  Place a CD in the optic drive and click Burn.

In order to boot from this disc you may need to enter the BIOS and make your CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order.

#9 thafrogggg

thafrogggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

I finished running chkdsk.It about 2.5 hours.  I had to leave the house on a call near the end, so the PC had rebooted by the time I got back in.  I am actually booted into a normal windows environment, but executing programs still takes longer than when in safe mode, and I am hearing a lot of disk activity that I do not hear when I am in safe mode.  I thought it might be that the indexing service was running, but I just checked and I do not have indexing turned on, so That kills that theory.  You may be right in my HDD getting ready to go.  It is a 5yo system that I use quiet a bit.

I will download and burn the Ubuntu disk and give that a whirl.  I do have a 1tb external drive so having back space is not an issue.

****UPDATE****

I have Ubuntu loaded and am copying files over to the external HDD now.  This should take a bit, but at least I am able to do it so far.

****UPDATE****  

Have finished copying over the files I want to save.

Edited by thafrogggg, 09 March 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Please run the long Seatools test again. 

#11 thafrogggg

thafrogggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Ok,  

I ran the long test and it took a little over 2 hours.  The test completed successfully with nothing noted.  Seatools said it made a .log file and placed it on the C drive, but I am unable to find that.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Let's try one more thing.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Go to  Start, click on All Programs, click on Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, click on Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.  

A page similar to the one below will open.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type sfc /scannow and then press ENTER:   

This scan consists of five parts and will take a while to run.  You will need to be patient and allow it to complete.  Stopping it while it is still running can damage your operating system.

#13 thafrogggg

thafrogggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Got it running now.  I am actually headed to bed (I work midnight to 8am Sat-Wed) so I will check the status of the SFC scan I get up at 10:30pm.

I have purchased a new HDD just in case, and besides, there is never too much storage space for a PC :).  

Also, on a whim, I bought some thermal paste in case I might actually need to replace the paste between the CPU and the cooler.  It is 5+ years old after all..

Thanks for going over all this with me.

****UPDATE**** Actually, it just completed and I have the following text.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

The system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot.

C:\Users\Dave> 

So, I will reboot in a bit and see how it goes.  I have to get to sleep. The Roserum (sleeping pill) is gonna kick in any minute now and I do not want to be out of bed when it does.

Do you need me to post (copy/paste) the CBS.log in this thread?

Edited by thafrogggg, 09 March 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Now problem.  I'll be here in the morning.

#15 thafrogggg

thafrogggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

I kinda fixed the problem. I used my new hard drive and installed my Windows 7 disk I have had laying around collecting dust because I did not want to have to reinstall the stuff I had on the Vista install  :hysterical: .  I will try and do some in-depth drive checking on the old drive.  Any suggestions on what I should use?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users