Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Boots from random X:\ Drive instead of C:\ Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NinjaSaku

NinjaSaku

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

I received an Inspiron N5110 from a friend because he got a new PC for his birthday, and this one had a virus in it. I gladly accepted it thinking i would be able to fix it but it seems ive run into a ditch. When i first start up the laptop it boots to the windows logo then blue screens then restarts. The blue screen code is 0x0000007B. I tried booting in all Safe Mode's but they dont work. I also tried Last Known Good Config and nothing, also tried a restore point but it doesnt have one. Finally i went into the CMD prompt through a windows repair disk i have and noticed that instead of the usual "C:\Windows" it instead had "X:\Windows\System32". I typed in "regedit"  then clicked on "Local Machine" then on "File" "Load Hive" to see what drives were on. It was there that i realized the PC was booting to a X:\ drive instead of the C:\ where the OS is. My MAIN question is, is there anyway I can set the laptop to boot from that C: drive instead of the X:? Some sort of Registry modification or a fix? Thank's again.

System Specs

------------------

Intel i3 i3-2330M 2.2 GHz ( Dual-Core )

8.0 GB RAM

500GB H.D

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Edited by hamluis, 18 February 2018 - 05:00 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'm a little confused, you posted that you get a BSOD and the computer restarts.  But then you post about being able to boot into the Advanced Boot Options and access the Registry.  Can you boot into Windows?

Have you tired changing the boot order in the BIOS to set the C: drive as the first device in the boot order?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 NinjaSaku

NinjaSaku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Although the laptop blue screens, I am able to go into the BIOS. In there it had the first boot item set as the hard drive. since the PC kept restarting I changed the 1st boot option to CD and inserted my Windows Repair Disk from where i accessed the CMD prompt where I then went into "regedit." It was there i saw that Windows was being booted from a X:\ drive instead of C:\ where the O.S is. I'm guessing the X: might be a partition on the drive. Is there CMD that i can use to make it boot from the C: partition?

Thank you 

#4 NinjaSaku

NinjaSaku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

ISSUE HAS BEEN FIXED. managed to fix it myself.

Here's How:

Ok so here are the steps I took to fix this issue.

I booted to a Windows Repair Disk 64 bit (use the proper one for your system) and brought up the CMD prompt.

I decided to first check which partition was active so I used the "diskpart" command and pressed enter

From here, it will show you which drives you have on your PC ex: Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 2 etc. as well as the size of each drive.

Since I'm working on a laptop I only had 1 show up so I then proceeded to select that drive by typing " select disk 0"

You can replace 0 with which ever drive you might have, in this case mine is 0

Then I went on to check the partitions on this drive by typing "list partition" which brought up a list of the partitions on that specific drive

Take notice that they are not letter coded but rather are listed as "Partition 1, Partition 2, etc along with the partition type and size"

I had a total of 4 Partitions 1 labeled "OS", another "RECOVERY" a third "DELLUTILITY" and the star of the show Partition 4 aka drive X:

From here i wanted to set the PC to boot from the "OS" aka partition 1 so I typed "select partition 1" change the number according to your specific partition setup.

it will say "Disk (#) selected" # being your partition number

once that was done I went along and typed "active" and pressed enter.

You will get "Partition "#" is active", Then I closed command prompt and ran System repair from the repair disk and the laptop restarted. 

Finally it booted into the windows 7 partition but I received the error

File:   \Boot\BCD

Info:  "an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data"

This usually means the boot sector is damaged or missing, but can be replaced with a repair disk

I booted from the repair disk once more and went back into the command prompt and typed "C:" where Windows is then ENTER, there i typed  "Bootrec /RebuildBcd" don't forget the spaces and then press ENTER.

I then closed command prompt and rebooted and VOILA sexy windows 7 booted up like a charm.

Now this worked for me and i do not guarantee this same method will work for you, but go ahead and give it a shot at your own risk. 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Glad to hear you got it resolved.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 SolveItNow

SolveItNow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

HI

This error normally occurs when the BIOS has been reset to defaults before the new operating system is installed. Essentially by resetting the BIOS to its default settings, the floppy drive is now configured and the operating system when being loaded from the Boot Disc, searches for the floppy drive and does. not find it and halts the load with the error, no hard disc...very nasty obscure error which had me going for almost three days.

Resolution : simply on booting from the DVD operating system disk, press F10 function key, so that you enter the BIOS and then disable the floppy disk drive, save the settings and exit BIOS. Now see how that works:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users