Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't display

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 darkhart07

darkhart07

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

So basically, my computer randomly crashed earlier and started giving me different BSOD errors and now when I try to turn it on, it'll do so, but the monitor displays nothing. The computers only about a year or less old. I built it myself. Has a phenom II x4 965 CPU, radeon 6750 gfx card, some foxconn motherboard and I'd have to check the name of the PSU. I dunno what the problem could be. Is it the PSU, CPU, the motherboard? Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

While your troubles could lie in any of these areas, some are easier to eliminate than others. Display problems are most commonly down to the graphics card and its associated drivers or to the VDU itself.

The VDU can be checked most simply by just borrowing one off a friend and plugging it in instead of yours - but make sure that it is getting mains electricity of whatever is your local flavour of volts ( 240 in my part of the World, 110 in the USA and some other places ). Or take your screen round to a friend's and plug it in there.

Once you are certain you have a working screen, then you can substitute your Radeon by the on-board video driver - just plug the lead to the screen into the motherboard video output instead of the one on your graphics card. If you get a display from this, then the problem almost certainly lies with your video card. If you don't, then it is probably a motherboard problem. If you get a display from the motheboard, then I would also download the latest drivers for your card from the Radeon web-site and install them to see if that makes a difference when you switch back to your Radeon

You may well have to use a friend's computer and a memory stick to get the drivers !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 darkhart07

darkhart07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Well after my one friend tried reseating my CPU for whatever reason, some of the pins got bent and one snapped off while trying to fix it. So I'm already $100 in and can't do much till I get that replaced

#4 Root@Synyster:#~

Root@Synyster:#~

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

Is your graphics card fan spinning up when you power up the system?

If so and its still not posting try the following steps.

1. Unplug power supply from the wall
  2. Remove the graphics card from the PCI slot
  3. Leave the graphics card plugged into the PSU
  4. See if the BIOS will post when the GPU is removed from the PCI slot
  5. If it does try and boot the PC with the GPU in another PCI slot
  6. If that doesnt work your GPU may be dead, check your warranty
  7. If it foes then your motherboard may have a a faulty PCI slot

If so check your warranty for that as well. PS sorry about the CPU:/

-RooT@Synyster:#~

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Well after my one friend tried reseating my CPU for whatever reason, some of the pins got bent and one snapped off while trying to fix it. So I'm already $100 in and can't do much till I get that replaced

Bummer! 

What is the model of this Foxconn motherboard?

RooT@Synyster:#~

Leave the graphics card plugged into the PSU

I could be wrong, but in the pictures I was able to look at of this graphic card there doesn't look like the is a connector for the PSU.  There is no mention of a connector in the spec.

See if the BIOS will post when the GPU is removed from the PCI slot

This could only work if the motherboard has integrated graphics.  Without knowing the model of this Foxconn motherboard you can't find out if it does or does not have integrated graphcs.

Edited by dc3, 09 March 2013 - 10:47 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users