Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have set MSE updates for manual install, but it auto installs anyway?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 sumguy#1

sumguy#1

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

Hey:

There are 4 options to set MSE updates.

I have MSE updates set to: "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them."

But MSE with no warning, decides to start downloading and installing updates, and automatically shutdowns which requires a restart.

This usually happens when I walk away from the computer for a few minutes. I come back and the update already installed and shutdown, which requires a restart.

The problem with this is if I have open programs on the screen or processor work I am working on. The download installs and then shuts down, and I have to restart the computer. This wipes everything off the screen. Sometimes Firefox saves the open programs, sometimes it doesn't.

Most importantly to me, is the shutdown/restart doesn't save whatever I was working on the word processor. Which if you worked for 2-3 hours on a project and it disappears because of the shutdown, is not good a good thing.

So what's the trick to setting MSE so I can control the download/installation/shutdown/restart thing? So I can save my processor work beforehand?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Hi

Not recommended, but you may wish to change your Windows Updates to a similar setting.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:20 AM

I have MSE updates set to: "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them."
 But MSE with no warning, decides to start downloading and installing updates, and automatically shutdowns which requires a restart.

Hello -
First, I think that you have the wrong program - Do you mean Windows Updates ??

MSE refers to "Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus" and this updates in the background, not general Windows updates -

I have my Windows Updates set to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" -
In this position I get a Yellow shield in the tray telling me there are updates and do I wish to install them.

Normally I install them when I shut down the computer for the day, or session.

Thank You -

#4 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hi

Not recommended, but you may wish to change your Windows Updates to a similar setting.

Reply:  Which Windows update setting do you recommend?

#5 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hello -
First, I think that you have the wrong program - Do you mean Windows Updates ??

MSE refers to "Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus" and this updates in the background, not general Windows updates -

Reply:  MSE updates in the background silently and those updates when finished installing are listed within the Windows update history. At least that is where my MSE updates show.

I have my Windows Updates set to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" -
In this position I get a Yellow shield in the tray telling me there are updates and do I wish to install them.

Reply:  So if I have the same setting as you do, why is MSE installing its updates automatically that require a shutdown & restart w/o notifying me before it does so?

OR

does MSE not give the user the option of notification before it installs its updates and shutdowns automatically?

Normally I install them when I shut down the computer for the day, or session.

Thank You -

R.  Normally I don't have a problem either with Windows updates, as it gives you the option of when to install them at my discretion. Which allows me to first save my processor work before installation of same.

So I am presuming here that MSE gives no options before installation of its updates? Whereas the Windows updates does.

Thanks

#6 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

I checked Windows update [WU] again and on the bottom left of the box is a clickable link: "privacy statement online." When clicked gives you: Update Services Privacy Statement. Within that statement is: "Choice and control." Which states in part, "some components will download and start automatically without further notice to you."

The only way to cure the auto downloads w/o notice, is to choose: "Never check for updates" [not recommended]-unfortunately. Then you get the Windows Security Alerts red X in the lower tray.

Not the best way to operate, but the only option I see to prevent the surprise auto-shutdowns-lose the processor work you worked on all day thing.

MS should fix this to give you the option of when to install/shutdown these MSE auto update installs. So a user doesn't lose processor work.

I use MS Works, I'm not sure if MS Word auto saves your processor work or not in these situations when MSE auto installs & shuts down?

But at any rate, at least I now know why my computer shuts down w/o my knowledge at uncertain times?

Thanks.

#7 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Hi

Reply:  Which Windows update setting do you recommend?

I would recommend installing updates automatically unless you have a very good reason such as updates not installing correctly sometimes.

#8 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

The very good reason is as stated above in prior posts.

I would also recommend installing updates automatically. Unless you have been working on the word processor all day and don't want to lose a days worth of work. Because a MSE auto update downloads/installs/shuts down/restarts, without any prior notice.

Thanks.

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

Something doesn't add up. I've been using MSE on several Windows 7 & XP systems and have never had to reboot to install a definition update. shrug.gif

Edit to add:

But MSE with no warning, decides to start downloading and installing updates, and automatically shutdowns which requires a restart....

There are no such options with MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), those options are for Windows Updates/Microsoft Updates. From the MSE GUI:

MSE_update.png

Edited by Union_Thug, 07 March 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Hi -

Please read Windows Update Settings - Change and look at Item #3 on the Right  Side -

The settings are listed there. You should select the Second listed option - Download updates but let me choose whether to install them, then click APPLY (if required) at the bottom.

You should then be notified that updates are available (downloaded to your computer), and you can select when to install them.

From your responses, you seem to have selected Item #1 that will Auto Install as the updates as soon as they are available.

Note: As above from U_Thug, MSE will never over-ride any program to install any updates (is MSE your Antivirus?).

OR - does MSE not give the user the option of notification before it installs its updates and shutdowns automatically? < < MSE Updates are in the MSE program settings - Please open MSE > Settings > Tick "Run a scheduled scan on my PC (recommended) > Select Scan type "Quick Scan > When "Daily" > Around (select any time that you generally use the computer) > Tick "Check for latest virus and spyware definitions ..... > The next box I leave Unticked > Tick  "Limit  CPU usage during scan (I set 50%)" > Click "Save changes" at the bottom, and X out, or return to Home and X out there -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 07 March 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#11 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

Something doesn't add up. I've been using MSE on several Windows 7 & XP systems and have never had to reboot to install a definition update. shrug.gif

Edit to add:

But MSE with no warning, decides to start downloading and installing updates, and automatically shutdowns which requires a restart....

There are no such options with MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), those options are for Windows Updates/Microsoft Updates. From the MSE GUI:

R. You are correct sir! My mistake. But the MSE updates are listed within MS updates, so that's probably what I meant.

MSE_update.png

#12 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

All I know is that after the computer shut down I checked Windows Updates [WU]. I found no WU were installed, but a MSE update was installed just before the shut down. So...?

When you right click on the MSE update, it does say in the box where the MSE update shows, that you may have to restart you computer after installation. Whether it did shutdown because of the MSE update or not, I don't really know for sure?

#13 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

Hi -

Please read Windows Update Settings - Change and look at Item #3 on the Right  Side -

The settings are listed there. You should select the Second listed option - Download updates but let me choose whether to install them, then click APPLY (if required) at the bottom.

You should then be notified that updates are available (downloaded to your computer), and you can select when to install them.

From your responses, you seem to have selected Item #1 that will Auto Install as the updates as soon as they are available.

R. Initially I selected the 3rd option. It shutdown randomly with that option. As it did with #2 option...so?

Note: As above from U_Thug, MSE will never over-ride any program to install any updates (is MSE your Antivirus?).

R.  MSE is my AV.

OR - does MSE not give the user the option of notification before it installs its updates and shutdowns automatically? < < MSE Updates are in the MSE program settings - Please open MSE > Settings > Tick "Run a scheduled scan on my PC (recommended) > Select Scan type "Quick Scan > When "Daily" > Around (select any time that you generally use the computer) > Tick "Check for latest virus and spyware definitions ..... > The next box I leave Unticked > Tick  "Limit  CPU usage during scan (I set 50%)" > Click "Save changes" at the bottom, and X out, or return to Home and X out there -

Thank You -

R.  That's what I got, seems like the default settings.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hi -

Thank you for those answers, but Option #2 in the menu is what most of us use -

It sounds like a conflict with some other installed programs not related to MSE or Windows Updates (if you followed my link above)

Can we please check a few installed Security programs for problems ??

Please download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

*This will only take a few minutes (on average).
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -

EDIT - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=40747 < Please read Windows Update Settings, as this is what I get on XP and 7.

Edited by noknojon, 09 March 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#15 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

1]  I ran that Screen 317 program, it showed Java needed an update, which I downloaded & installed. The report also showed Adobe Reader X out of date. I installed the latest version [10.1.4], but when I reran Screen 317, it said that program is out of date? I went to the Adobe donload page and it says that is the latest version...so...?

2]  I don't see a link to upload the 317 report, can someone tell me where that is?

3]  Would having to many open programs cause a unannounced shutdown?

4]  Since I've had Windows automatic updates turned off, I've had one announced shutdown since my last post.

Thanks.

Edited by sumguy#1, 22 March 2013 - 05:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users