Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix shows McAfee scanner running falsely.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DaemosDaen

DaemosDaen

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

We have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise installed at our office, when fixing a system reciently, Combofix showed that McAfee's on access scanner was running. I verified that it was off and continued and CF did the job.

Note, before commenting about me using CF unassisted, I do know the risks, and do this work for a living. Malware bytes, TDSS, McAfee all found nothing, it was actually our firewall that pointed out the infection, not the user.

Thanks for the har work

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

Hello DaemosDaen  and Welcome -

First, I do not intentionally attempt to "dampen" this question, however here is all the information available -

Please fully read > ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

NOTE 1 : ComboFix is provided as is, without warranty of any kind. All implied warranties are expressly disclaimed. If you do not agree to the terms stipulated by sUBs, use of his tool is at your own risk.
Bleeping Computer and sUBs will not be responsible for any damage caused to your machine by misusing or running ComboFix on your own.
NOTE  2 : The program is not designed for Commercial Use, and is designed for for Personal Use only -

(I hope that you donate to his very hard work via PayPal or similar)

Sorry but discussions pertaining to how Combofx works, what it can or cannot do, what the log results mean, any future plans, updates, etc is not available to the public in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. As such, the developer does not want his tool discussed outside of private forums and therefore we cannot answer specific questions.

The only public information that is available can be found in this authorized guide: How to use ComboFix

Thank You -
(Malware bytes = Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware)

#3 eoval

eoval

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

This is an entirely anecdotal response mixed with McAfee reviews from others online.

McAfee was a trusted and secure AV once upon a time. It was purchased by some company (I can't remember) and the services went south.

My anecdote. 

I had been a vocal McAfee member/supporter for 5 years or so until I received a pop-up saying McAfee had stopped a fishing attempt from another computer - I hit OK, block it. Not even 10 seconds later my PC erupted (for lack of a more accurate term) in  SMART takeover.

I can accept that something snuck through. What I cannot accept was 45 mins waiting for an Indian to tell me to call another Indian's number to sit on hold for another hour while he proceeds to tell me I have to pay $90 for him to begin to look at it when the program had already told me the intrusion had been blocked. HE WENT INTO AND OUT OF STORES WHILE HE TALKED TO ME, and was very rude.

That does not engender respect or trust in McAfee. The reason I mentioned the other reviews is that I've seen very similar stories on many review forums.

The silver lining is that (after 20 mins of research) I found RKill :)

I would believe Combofix over a crappy near defunct McAfee.

Cheers

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

Hi -

You are correct in the fact that McAfee has now been taken over by (sold to) another company -

As of February 28, 2011, McAfee is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel ..............

My post was not to be negative towards Mcafee (never used it) but to ask / inform people of the risks of ComboFix -

ComboFix is very good but only when used as per instructions, and only when needed.

NOTE - This program will never replace a good full Antivirus program, and was never designed to -

Thank You for your opinions -

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

Adding to what noknojon has already said...The developer of Combofix did not intend for his tool to be used in a business/corporate environment. The unique configuration of systems on a network from company to company can cause unpredictable results at times. Choosing to run ComboFix in such a way is your choice, however, we will be unable to support any such use of the tool.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users