Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo 3000 v100 free up drive space

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DLWayne

DLWayne

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hi,

I just acquired (for free) a used Lenovo 3000 v100 (T2300, 1.66GHz) running XP Pro SP3. No disks included. I upgraded the memory, repaired the keyboard.Everything runs fine, and I went through both existing user accounts deleting any documents/pictures/music, also uninstalled programs I know I won't use.

Here's the main issue. The hard drive is nominally 100GB. When I click on my computer, it shows that, while the hard drive has 88GB usable, the free space is only 24.9GB. How do I find out what's taking up all the space, and get it back? I haven't yet changed/deleted the user accounts, in case that's the only way to get to the "hidden" files (which, of course, don't show up after telling it to "show hidden files and folders").

I could, of course, discover the Windows Key Code, format,  and reinstall XP (would need to find appropriate drivers, though), but it has some other programs (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite, et al) that I would lose and wouldn't be able to replace.

Also, I'd like to be able to remove the games that came with it, which don't show up in "Add or Remove Programs".

More details available if you need them.

Any ideas tor dealing with these issues?

Thanks,

DL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

For seeing space/file relationships, try the following:  WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html .

What is sold as a 100GB hard drive...really only has 88GB of useable space.  See Hard Drive Size Differential - http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=615 .

Louis

#3 DLWayne

DLWayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

Louis,

Thanks for responding to my post.

I’ve downloaded and run WinDirStat. It lists 45GB of various files, which is going to take some online research to decipher what can safely be gotten rid of to recover space.

However, you seem to have somewhat misunderstood my comments. I already knew that a 100GB drive isn’t that size in practicality (‘nominal 100GB hard drive... with 88GB of usable space’). It isn’t the 12GB difference (100-88GB=12) that concerns me, it's the still missing 18GB (88-45GB=43, with only 24.9GB listed as "free space", thus 43-25=18), as well as what can be recovered from the 45GB that WinDirStat is able to account for.

Also, any ideas regarding my other question, namely, how to get rid of the useless games?

DL

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

<<Also, I'd like to be able to remove the games that came with it, which don't show up in "Add or Remove Programs">>

What games would you be referring to?

If you mean the Windows games....see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307768 .

To get an accurate analysis/count of free space...run the chkdsk /r command.

After that, it's up to you to use the tool I suggested (or a similar one).

You might check to see if indexing and system restore are enabled....turn off hibernation...and run TFC by Oldtimer to remove temporary files.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users