Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ghosts of XP: how to exorcise?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1940LaSalle

1940LaSalle

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Circumstances that need not concern us here compelled me to install Windows 7 on a laptop some months ago.  Like a damn fool, I deleted the Windows XP files without uninstalling using the add/remove programs feature.  (I might add that as a consequence there is no mention of XP or anything related to it if I go to Add/Remove Programs on the control panel.)  That leads to a nuisance black (NOT blue!) screen on each and every bootup asking me which species of Windows I want to run; i. e., either XP or 7.

What I'd like to do is find a way to get rid of the remnants of XP that cause this nuisance bootup screen.  Preferably this would be accomplished without editing the registry on my own (that prospect scares me given the potential for mishaps).  Is there some utility that would purgee the registry of these XP remnants without performing surgery--or some fairly simple procedure I could follow?

Thanks very much.

Edited by hamluis, 06 March 2013 - 01:18 PM.
Moved from XP to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

if you installed Win 7 with the XP install already on the system....the Win 7 bootfiles overrode the XP boot files, resulting in a situatin where you could boot to either. 

If you then deleted the XP install...the Win 7 bootloader would still reflect that install, until you remove it.

I would try using the Win 7 Startup Repair option, using your Win 7 install disc. 

If that fails, then I would just use a utility (EasyBCD) to correct the boot files.

There's probably an easier way but I'm not aware of it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/36434-remove-xp-dual-boot.html , post by Dave76 is the approach I would take.

Louis

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

You could also look in msconfig for XP.

From your start menu type msconfig in the search box. Click the msconfig folder that will appear in the search results.

When System Configuration opens click the BOOT tab. If you see XP listed, highlight it then DELETE.  You might then have to click APPLY.  It's been a long time since I've had to do this, but it has worked for me in the past to get rid of "choose your OS" when booting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users