Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smooth 1080p Video

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HopeFails

HopeFails

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

Recently, I upgraded my monitor from an archaic 14" screen to a 24" 1080p screen. Of course, the first thing I did with it was try out some 1080p video. However, my graphics card couldn't handle it. It was so choppy I only got to see a frame about every five seconds. The same video played perfectly on my old monitor, so I don't think it's the computer's fault. I checked out my graphics card and found out that it was only a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE. Not exactly state-of-the-art tech. So now, I'm looking for a good, cheap graphics card to buy that will let me play 1080p smoothly. I really don't want to drop $200 for something that I will only use for watching movies in a million more pixels, though. I'm not a gamer and I honestly don't care about getting a top-of-the-line graphics card. So, I'm just wondering what's the cheapest graphics card that will at minimum play 1080p video smoothly. Either that, or just tell me the minimum specs I should be looking for. 

Here's the basics of my system: 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 
RAM: 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 314MHz (5-5-5-15) 
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0HX340 (Socket M2 ) 
Graphics: ASUS VS247 (1920x1080@60Hz) 64MB GeForce 6150 LE (Dell) 

Completely upgrading my computer is an option, as it is getting a bit dated, but, like I said, I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money. 

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

FWiW:  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1120720/can-nvidia-6150-le-do-1080p

From what I see...1080p support for that card should not be a problem for those components.

FWiW;  http://superuser.com/questions/352772/how-to-find-out-whether-my-pc-can-play-hd-videos

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2013 - 01:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users