Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Movie Maker & Media Player glitching together

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alliecat

Alliecat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

I realize Movie Maker is considered a crummy program, for all the glitches.  I've started looking for something else.  In the meantime, I haven't been able to finish a half-done project because about half the time, the program won't start.  I just get "... has encountered an error and needs to close".  I've discovered that when that glitches, so does Media Player.  Same message.  I can shut off the computer & come back another day, & it works.  Or, once, I just went online & did some other things, then came back to it and it did open.  But you could flip a coin, whether it's going to start.

Does anybody know what causes Media Player to seize up at the same time?

And is there something free with similar features to Movie Maker, that is considered a good program?  Don't need anything too fancy -- just for little amateur slide shows & videos.  I've seen "ezvid" recommended -- is it ok?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

...anyone...??

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

Try restarting your computer before you use MovieMaker.  This will free up some ram and also help close other programs that are running in the background.  Speaking of which, you can also shut down any programs in that you're not using that could be running in the background (any messenger programs, apps in win7 & 8 etc. etc.).  Updating windows might help to solve any issues, too.

As for free programs, honestly I'm not 100% on that - you're best bet would be to download a free one and run it to see if you like it.  Remember that the free programs might do a little more than what MovieMaker does, so it may take some getting used to, so don't get discouraged to quickly.

Last thing that I can think of would be to update your codecs - I always go and download the K-lite codec mega pack.  Be sure to watch to make sure it's not installing other things like a toolbar, etc. etc. (I can't remember if it tries to or not).  K-lite codecs are safe, as are their toolbars, but IMO the toolbars are a waste of time.

Hope this helps.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users