Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need tips/thoughts on which monitor to buy?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 traptack

traptack

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

There's this deal right now @ new egg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-254-091&SortField=0&SummaryType=1&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=3#scrollFullInfo

I hear Hanns-G is a decent brand, however not as reliable as other ones like acert and samsung for example.

I was wondering if you all think this is a good deal?

I want something solid and durable, that can last me for a while and i'll be using this as a secondary monitor to my laptop.

Normally I wouldn't consider such a big screen size, but seeing the big price cut it caught my interest.

if any of you had exerepince with Hanns-G monitors, how were they?

** i'm also curious as to when is a good time to buy monitors. I'm not in a rush to buy one right now, but I can never pass a good deal when I see one

Edited by traptack, 06 March 2013 - 12:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

I have a hanns G monitor, and so does my dad-mines on the lower end of the hanns-G list while his is about mid range. Neither of us have had any problems with ours, and have had them 2-3 years. Ive got no complaints about it, im currently using mine (20" inch flat screen) in a custom movie theatre setup in my bathroom so I can watch movies while soaking in the tub-and even the increased humidity in the bathroom hasn't caused any problems. Its lasted just as long and taken just as much, if not more abuse then my viewsonic and Acer Monitors that I have.

Edited by the_patriot11, 06 March 2013 - 12:29 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

I have a hanns G monitor, and so does my dad-mines on the lower end of the hanns-G list while his is about mid range. Neither of us have had any problems with ours, and have had them 2-3 years. Ive got no complaints about it, im currently using mine (20" inch flat screen) in a custom movie theatre setup in my bathroom so I can watch movies while soaking in the tub-and even the increased humidity in the bathroom hasn't caused any problems. Its lasted just as long and taken just as much, if not more abuse then my viewsonic and Acer Monitors that I have.

hey appreciate the reply

well- is Hanns G known more for being geard towards- gaming?  graphic/art work? or regular bussiness text based situations

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

the ones Ive used have all been more of the generic use, I have used mine for gaming, the response time was fantastic, though the resolution wasn't high. I got it for 100 dollars on a shell shocker deal off newegg, 1600 x 900 resolution, to take to ND wasnt expecting it to last more then a year at most-especially not in the environment ive used it in, now 3 years later its still running strong. My dads is a 23 inch hi-def display that i see no problem with using for gaming, but he uses it for office applications and movie watching. Very good color quality on it.  Ive seen some that would be good for gaming. A lot about monitors has to do with personal preference-and the type of screens. I do game a lot, and I like using TN screens, however, a lot of people dont like that especially for gaming. What I would suggest is walking into a nearby computer store such as best buy or something similar-or even more then one-that have display computers and monitors up that you can play around with, and see which ones you like more then the others. 

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

the ones Ive used have all been more of the generic use, I have used mine for gaming, the response time was fantastic, though the resolution wasn't high. I got it for 100 dollars on a shell shocker deal off newegg, 1600 x 900 resolution, to take to ND wasnt expecting it to last more then a year at most-especially not in the environment ive used it in, now 3 years later its still running strong. My dads is a 23 inch hi-def display that i see no problem with using for gaming, but he uses it for office applications and movie watching. Very good color quality on it.  Ive seen some that would be good for gaming. A lot about monitors has to do with personal preference-and the type of screens. I do game a lot, and I like using TN screens, however, a lot of people dont like that especially for gaming. What I would suggest is walking into a nearby computer store such as best buy or something similar-or even more then one-that have display computers and monitors up that you can play around with, and see which ones you like more then the others. 

i'm decinding between this hanns g model or http://www.staples.com/HP-2011xi-20-inch-IPS-LED-Monitor/product_147929?storeId=10001&AID=10422268&CID=AFF%253A3224826%253A3224826%253A10422268&cm_mmc=CJ-_-3224826-_-3224826-_-10422268&SID=4-22167-nil-10-nil-82727&PID=3224826

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

The hanns-G is the better monitor hands down. Instead of looking just at the brand, look at the stats. Both, are LED backlit monitors-which is good, however the hanns-G is 21.5 inchs while the HP is 20-which alone isnt a big deal, but when you look at  the resolution, it makes a huge difference-the hanns-G has a resolution of 1920x1080-which is full HD, the HP only has a res of 1600 x 900, much lower, the hanns-G will give you a far better picture for that reason alone, especially if your computer is capable of running games at 1920 x 1080. The hanns also has a faster response time-5ms over the 7ms the HP has, which for every day use, makes no difference, but in gaming, can make a noticeble difference-the lower the response time the better-the hanns-G also has a better active contrast ratio. For 10 dollars more, I see no reason not to get the Hanns-G over the HP monitor. Quality wise im sure they are both good-but performance wise, the hanns-G is the definite winner.

picard5.jpg

#7 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

The hanns-G is the better monitor hands down. Instead of looking just at the brand, look at the stats. Both, are LED backlit monitors-which is good, however the hanns-G is 21.5 inchs while the HP is 20-which alone isnt a big deal, but when you look at  the resolution, it makes a huge difference-the hanns-G has a resolution of 1920x1080-which is full HD, the HP only has a res of 1600 x 900, much lower, the hanns-G will give you a far better picture for that reason alone, especially if your computer is capable of running games at 1920 x 1080. The hanns also has a faster response time-5ms over the 7ms the HP has, which for every day use, makes no difference, but in gaming, can make a noticeble difference-the lower the response time the better-the hanns-G also has a better active contrast ratio. For 10 dollars more, I see no reason not to get the Hanns-G over the HP monitor. Quality wise im sure they are both good-but performance wise, the hanns-G is the definite winner.

perfect, thanks i'll keep those points in mind.

lastly, how is the customer service support for Hanns G?

and since i'll be buying from new egg, do I deal with NG or Hanns G?

also saw this

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/229261978.html?listingid=272242313&&

Edited by traptack, 07 March 2013 - 01:09 AM.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Honestly, I cannot answer that question, I have never had to deal with their customer support.

As far as that samsung, it has a better refresh rate then either of the two-so thats a plus in gaming, however, what concerns me is the false advertising. Theyre advertising it as a full HD monitor-and its not, it has the same resolution as that HP, 1600 x 900, and you cannot achieve full HD at that res, you can get 720p but not 1080p, you need 1920 x 1080 for full HD, so the samsung monitor is in essence lying about its specs, and I would still go for the larger hanns-G, even with the slower response time, its not enough to make it worth the lower resolution in my opinion.

picard5.jpg

#9 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Honestly, I cannot answer that question, I have never had to deal with their customer support.

As far as that samsung, it has a better refresh rate then either of the two-so thats a plus in gaming, however, what concerns me is the false advertising. Theyre advertising it as a full HD monitor-and its not, it has the same resolution as that HP, 1600 x 900, and you cannot achieve full HD at that res, you can get 720p but not 1080p, you need 1920 x 1080 for full HD, so the samsung monitor is in essence lying about its specs, and I would still go for the larger hanns-G, even with the slower response time, its not enough to make it worth the lower resolution in my opinion.

allright most appreciated. i'll probably wait till the end of the weekend to pick it up, I want to see if any more deals pop up from then on.

do you know if there are certain months good for discounts and buying monitors, or is it really all just random?

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

I havent noticed to much. a lot depends on the supplier, and the seller. I don't keep track of all the different ones-the last monitor I bought was an acer 23 inch I got off a newegg shell shocker for $110.  Sometimes, its time, patience, and knowing exactly what you want out of a monitor and what to look for-other times, its a 2 hour deal and you have to snatch it up then-but the key, is to know what you want, and how much your willing to pay.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users