Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 redalex

redalex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop. The last thing I did before this wireless problem was bring my laptop to school and used it until it ran out of battery. I don't think that should cause any problem.

I went home, plugged in charger, turned it on, and wifi's not there.  

The wifi button light was orange and stayed orange. Restarted laptop (a few times).

For once, the light turned blue/orange as I pressed wifi button, but the wifi still isn't there (no access to any connections whatsoever. I don't even see the bars with red X. I just see a plug+monitor with red X).

I got desperate and did a full system recovery (nothing that really needed back up). Wifi worked, but only for a while. 

Had to restart (a few times) to get it to work again. Google'd about this and found out about device manager.

Once, when I had device manager up and wifi stopped working, I noticed that the wifi adapter in the list would disappear as well.

Now, the wifi works, but it would sometime turn off for no reason and I would have to restart again. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hello and Welcome -

There are quite a few issues on Google under "HP Pavilion dv6 laptop wifi problem", but many were solved by using a direct connection.

Do you have the ability to connect with an Ethernet cable first, and check on reception to the computer ??

Note: The issue of running the battery totally flat can cause several odd problems -

Often the Wifi card has been known to fail. Check Device Manager for any { ! or ? } items -

Thank You

#3 redalex

redalex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Connecting to an Ethernet cable does allow me access to internet. That didn't fix the wireless problem though. It's all down to luck if I turn the laptop on and get a connection.

There aren't any ! or ? items in device manager. If the wireless suddenly stopped working or it didn't get any connection when I turn the computer on, the wifi adapter item in the device manager would disappear from the list.

Also, I've been noticing lag when I turn the laptop on. Sound and screen would all be lagging. This lag tells me that wireless won't work and I should just restart. Sometimes, the laptop will turn on without lag but still not have wireless.

#4 starfireone

starfireone

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

Connecting to an Ethernet cable does allow me access to internet. That didn't fix the wireless problem though. It's all down to luck if I turn the laptop on and get a connection.

There aren't any ! or ? items in device manager. If the wireless suddenly stopped working or it didn't get any connection when I turn the computer on, the wifi adapter item in the device manager would disappear from the list.

Also, I've been noticing lag when I turn the laptop on. Sound and screen would all be lagging. This lag tells me that wireless won't work and I should just restart. Sometimes, the laptop will turn on without lag but still not have wireless.

Try this: You said you were able to get Internet access via wired connection through Ethernet cable. Good! Go to Device manager and under Network adapters copy down on paper the wireless name and wireless adapter model number. Once you have that go out to HP website and download the latest driver for this wireless adapter. Install the latest driver that you just downloaded. Remove wired cable connection and reboot. See if this resolves the issue. 

Thanks
Starfireone

www.nickscomputerfix.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users