Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling app

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Meanie

Meanie

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

I just bought a new HP laptop which came with the usual HP installed crap. When I view "All apps" on the start menu, I view the "games" category which lists the games in order. I click on the game and it takes me to a website, no biggie. The bottom line is, I'm not really a game player and would like to remove these apps. I understand they aren't requiring much space but I simply want them gone. When I click "uninstall", I'm reverted to the "control panel" uninstall programs window. The problem is, I don't find these games there nor any indication of them. There was a program called "Wild Tangent" which I know was an HP program for games and thought that was it, but after uninstalling, the apps still appear.

Can someone tell me how to rid of these game apps?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

For certain programs you need to uninstall them from the Uninstall Programs control panel. If the app still appears, then you will need to uninstall the app as well. You can use this tutorial to learn how to do so:

How to uninstall an App in Windows 8

#3 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

Thanks Bleep, but the problem I stated is the app will not uninstall with the uninstall icon option. I do not recieve a confirmation window to uninstall. When I click uninstall, it opens the control panel Programs and features window. The app I'm trying to uninstall is not listed and thus, I cannot remove it.

#4 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

I just searched for the location of the game files and they are in Program FIles (x86) un the folder of Wild Tangent Games. The puzzling part is I uninstalled Wild Tangent from the control panel, it no longer appears and yet the folder is still there.  What gives?

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

Is there anything in that folder?

Often times the folder remains even though the program has been removed.

#6 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

Is there anything in that folder?

Often times the folder remains even though the program has been removed.

Yes, another folder label "Game Explorer Categories -genre", then more files within that one. Those files are duplicate file names(all numbers) but one is a .dll file(Application extension) and the other is configuration settings. Then two more files labeled "Provider" and one which is "Uninstall".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users