Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Change The Start Up Name On My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigbadmel

bigbadmel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:01 PM

Ahoy there
I was wondering if u can tell me how u can change the computers owners name?
say u got a computer from a mate and his name jim smith how would i go about changing it 2my own
with out reformatting?

Mod Edit: Split topic, added title and moved to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 03 April 2006 - 02:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

Hi bigbadmel, You can do this thru the registry. But as changing the registry can be quite dangerous to your PC's stability, yuo'll need proper instruction. Please post your question in the forum in the link below that corresponds to your Operating System. There you will receive the proper help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/76/operating-systems/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 imatechie

imatechie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:38 PM

I Just Got a Computer From my Friend but I Want My Name to Show Up. How do I do this?

* Log in with Admin rights and go to Start>Control Panel>Classic View>User Accounts
* Select Create new user (This will be the name you want to use ) and choose Administrator for the account type and assign password.
* Logoff and then logon as the new user (This will allow Windows to create the profile for your new name.)
* Logoff then logon as the master administrator (in safe mode)
* Right click My Computer
* Select Properties
* Select the Advanced Tab
* Select settings under User Profiles, highlite the owners profile and select Copy To:
* Browse to your new profile and click OK and let Windows copy the profile for you.
* Log off and back on under your new profile and make sure everything works fine, then:
* DO NOT DELETE THE OWNER'S ACCOUNT!
* Reason: It is very likely that the owner's account is a recovery agent, by default, Windows assigns this role to the first user
account that logged on successfully.
* Simply disable the owners account:
- Right click My Computer
- Select Manage
- In the left hand pane expand My Computer
- Expand Local Users and Groups
- Click Users
- In the right hand pane look for the owners username and double click it.
- Check the box "Account is disabled" and click OK.

The above will copy the owners profile and all settings to your new profile, however if you don't mind keeping the owner's profile, you can
right click My Computer, Select Manage, then Local Users and Groups, then Users, double click on the owners account then where it says
full name, type your name in. Doing it this way will not change your login name as you will still log in under the owner's account, but Windows will
display the full name at the top of the start menu.

I hope this gives you an idea.
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

#4 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:19 PM

Ahoy there
I was wondering if u can tell me how u can change the computers owners name?
say u got a computer from a mate and his name jim smith how would i go about changing it 2my own
with out reformatting?

Mod Edit: Split topic, added title and moved to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Use imatechie's method to change the welcome screen name and/or start screen name.
To change the owners name, which I presume that's what your asking, go here;

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...egistered_o.htm

REMEMBER: This is a registry change, so back up the registry before making any changes and any changes that you decide to make are at your own risk.

Hope this helps
Don

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#5 romiaaron

romiaaron

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

I tried the steps you listed above for copying the original user settings to the new user, but when I try to log into the new user account it logs in and logs off before even leaving the log-in page. What have I done wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users