Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Expanding files 0% Files missing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ident

ident

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Toshiba satellite c650

I was recently asked to look at a laptop that would not load windows. It booted past the BIO's but frooze getting into the login screen. Repair startup failed. Could not be repaired and told to contact my support team. A memory test allowed me to login to windows. How ever nothing would open. Start menu would work but no applications would start. The Hard drive said it was in a bad state.

I installed Linix Mint and managed to recover all needed files. I then tried to reinstall windows. Both CD's stop at expanding files 0% then errors can not be installed. Files missing. I have seen on the web in might be todo with the speed i recored the image iso at???

I then fired up a linix live cd and deleted the old windows and linix partition with gParted. Now not even Linux will install. If i allow the laptop to boot it will come up grub recovery(linuxs recovery).

seems i cant do any thing now. Have i not partioned the HDD right?

any ideas and thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

The Hard drive said it was in a bad state.

What reported the hdd to be in a bad state?

Most all hdd manufacturer's have diagnostic tools which you can download as an ISO file, you then can burn this to a CD and boot from it to run the diagnostic test.  If you will pull the hdd out and post the manufacturer I will post a link to a site where you can download the file.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

It's a laptop an never had to remove a HDD. can you please explain how.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

If you post the make and model of this laptop I can find a video which will show you how to remove it and reinstall it.  There usually is a small access cover on the bottom which is secured by two screws.  Once you remove the cover there usually will be a small tab you can use to pull the hdd out of its socket.  You will need to pull it straight and level away from the socket.  Once you have done this you will realize how simple this is.  Before you touch the hdd touch something metal close by to discharge any static charge you body has built up, electrostatic discharges can kill board components.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Toshiba satellite c650

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

You can find the download for the DOS diagnostic download from Toshiba here.

After you download the ISO file you will need to burn it to a CD, ImgBurn is a good program for this.  You can find instructions for this here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users