Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh, boy, do I have a problem for you...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 garyjs

garyjs

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

I first ran into this critter several years on my desktop machine. It takes over all malware/anti-virus apps and adds a fake MS badge to their icons. It also shuts off any internet access and takes control of several functions in Control Panel to make sure you can't find it. identify it or kill it.

I have spent the last several days in the anti-virus/Malware reports forum working with someone there to identify/kill this critter, but he has just asked me to repost a cry for help with you folks.

I have attached a recent MiniToolbox log (from yesterday). Please help me out with this. The laptop belongs to my roommate. We share a wi-fi connection, but my laptop is unaffected - i keep things up to date and don't DL a lot of crap, so I have avoided the infection - so far...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

MS icons are not fake.They are called UAC shield.Please read about it here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa511445.aspx

Regarding internet issue,please uninstall zone alarm(do not disable it).Restart the PC and post the farbar service scanner log.

#3 garyjs

garyjs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

Attached File  FSS_NoZoneAlarm.txt   1.96KB   0 downloads

ZoneAlarm has been uninstalled. Internet access has been returned. I am running the update for MSS Essentials now.

If you can, please explain how ZoneAlarm affected the internet access so I can avoid the problem in future. I have never seen this before, and as I mentioned, I have used ZoneAlarm for years on a number of machines.

Thank you for your time.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

Zone alarm is known to cause internet issues but in your case it could have been due to faulty update.

safe surfing

#5 garyjs

garyjs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thank you very much for your help with this.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

:welcome:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users