Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Occasional computer stutters, need help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 supac

supac

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

Hey guys,

My computer sometimes stutters to a halt after I turn it on/awake it from sleep.  It starts off slow with sound/gfx hiccups and gradually gets to a point of needing a restart.  I have dusted my desktop, checked to see if my gfx card is properly in, and checked drivers, but still have this problem.  I can provide more info if you need it, thansk in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

There is not a real solution to causes of sleep malfunction on Windows desktops because of the combination of differently assembled/installed hardware components that does not conform with these power options feature. While some have BIOS or drivers fix/patch to overcome this problem, it is not a guaranteed solution as other outdated devices and softwares installed/running could also contribute to this scenario. In the end, this function is better left alone especially for desktops as it could just break your system in the long run. But if you want to continue venturing for a solution, see here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/487522/occasional-computer-stutters-need-help/#entry2994328

Tekken

#3 supac

supac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

sometimes it happens even after I turn the computer on w/o sleep too.  It mostly happens when I load up a game and starts with audio stutter and progresses worse.  I downloaded speccy from looking at previous threads if this helps: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3VNdAi2cllxBsvt8dihCTyO

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

What PSU wattage/brand and games that produces stuttering effect on your desktop? Can you post the complete desktop brand/model next time?

Edited by jhayz, 06 March 2013 - 10:03 PM.

Tekken

#5 supac

supac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

mostly from Dota 2 and sometimes from watching streams too, so I think it might have something to do with the graphics.  the stutter doesn't always occur though.  where can I check the wattage/brand/desktop info at?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:45 AM

where can I check the wattage/brand/desktop info at?

You need to open up the side casing of your desktop to check on the printed output wattage and brand name. Is Windows update configured to automatic or turned off? Do you have an antivirus installed? I see Mbam (not an antivirus) and Spybot (not recommended anymore nowadays) as the ones currently installed. Try updating your video drivers here and see troubleshooting tips.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users