Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up Home Network Have Questions About Virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WitsEnd

WitsEnd

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:48 PM

Hello,

I recentlly purchased a new computer (it was long over due) my current Compaq laptop is running Win XP pro with NO Service Packs. (the OS is a copy and I can't upgrade) It is losing files, things are getting corrupted, it shuts down without warning, the hard drive makes a godawful noise every now and then (kind of like an electric drill speeding up then slowing down). So needless to say it was time to get a new one so I did.

I ordered a Gateway Pentium D dual core 820 with all the goodies, yada yada yada.

My question is this, there are a bazillion files that I need still on the laptop and will need to get them onto the new computer. I tried buring them onto a CD but that didn't work, the drive is bad. So I was thinking about networking them and just dragging them onto the new computer but I'm afraid if the laptop has a virus that it will infect the new desktop too.

Can a virus go through a DSL router and infect another computer connected to it?

or does anyone know of a service on line that I could upload the files to and then download them back onto the new PC? That might work.

Thanks to all who may have advice on how best to accomplish this transfer.

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

My question is this, there are a bazillion files that I need still on the laptop and will need to get them onto the new computer. I tried buring them onto a CD but that didn't work, the drive is bad. So I was thinking about networking them and just dragging them onto the new computer but I'm afraid if the laptop has a virus that it will infect the new desktop too.

Can a virus go through a DSL router and infect another computer connected to it?

or does anyone know of a service on line that I could upload the files to and then download them back onto the new PC? That might work.

Absolutely! You need to download and install an antivirus and firewall program Before to connect, much less transfer files. Be aware that with an antivirus program you can still get a virus or malware. I strongly recommend you download the following and install the prior to going on line. If your new computer came with an antivirus uninstall it first. It will have Norton or MacAfee. They must be remove or it will cause problems.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Antispyware
Microsoft Defender (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
aČ Free

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Presonal Firewall 5.6 (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

I also recommend the following but the are not essential right now.

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools
BitDefender Removal Tools Free
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 WitsEnd

WitsEnd
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

I strongly recommend you download the following and install the prior to going on line.

Hmm... Maybe I'm missing something but how do I download without being online? I need to get the new computer online before I can download the AV and firewall right?

And just connecting a new computer to the internet doesn't automatically infect it with malware does it? I thought you had to go to certain websites, download certain things that had the malware implanted in it, etc...

Anything I should know about the firewall software?

Thanks for your help!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:53 PM

If you cannot download and burn to CD AVG with the old computer you will have to go online with the new computer.
The firewall software will take adjusting. It will prompt you went anything accesses the internet or your LAN. After a fw weeks of tweating it will not prompt you as often, since it will remember the setting. If you ar not sure if an application should be allowed, do not check the remember box. Research the entry. It will pop up again nd you can answer it when you know what it does. It's better to say no and have to keep saying no rather than letting malware access the internet.

#5 WitsEnd

WitsEnd
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:42 PM

The new PC has Mcaffee anti-virus and spy-ware, is that a good one, it comes with one year of free updates or do you recommend the AVG free? Also, the firewall you use is free too? isn't most free stuff loaded with spyware itself? I don't mind paying for AV software or firewall if its better.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:54 PM

Since it is free (or at least paid for) you should try it. The worst that happens is you uninstall it and try something else.
Some freeware does indeed have malware incorporate into it. The software is tested by staff and members BEFORE it is recommended. We have a list of recommended freeware that is trusted.
The paid verison is as good but I would not say better. I switched from MacAfee over two years ago. I have not had a virus yet. You will be well protcted with either.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

#7 WitsEnd

WitsEnd
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:14 PM

Okay, thanks for your help. I'll download the firewall you recommended and I'll use the McCafee while its paid for. I'm going to use X-Drive to transfer the files that way I don't have to network and allow file sharing between the PC's

Thanks again!

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:23 PM

Good luck. Kept us up to date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic