Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which of these network bridge options is the most viable?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gunblazer42

Gunblazer42

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

Background;

I have a desktop (Gateway DX4870 running Windows 8 64-bit) that doesn't cooperate with wi-fi using its onboard card nor USB dongles, but that's a bit of an unrelated matter. I've managed to temporarily solve the issue by bridging the desktop to my laptop (Dell Lattitude D830, W7 32-bit) , and using my laptop's connection to my wireless network to get Internet access on the desktop

So it's going like: Router (Linksys WRT54GL) --(wi-fi)--> laptop --(Etehrnet cable)--> desktop

I'm a networking noob, but I expected that since they technically share bandwidth, the laptop and desktop Internet speeds would be cut effectively in half, from 1MB/s (Roadrunner cable-based Internet) to 300-500 KB/s each. I expected that, but I'm getting a bit tired of the blow while using the destop.

The question:

I want to be abe to use full bandwidth or at least as full as possible on the desktop. Obviously, runing it through a bridge through a laptop isn't the most effecient. So I did some research and I figured that my best bet would be to buy a dedicated bridge to convert the wi-fi to wired and have the desktop use that exclusively. But then I started hearing about these bridges that connect to electrical sockets and bridge the network connection that way....I believe they're called powerline?

Anyway, I was wondering what would be a better option, either keeping the network bridge as is, buying a wi-fi --> wired bridge, or buying those powerline adapters and bridging that way. In the long run, I want to fix whatever is wrong with the desktop, but I'm sure that would cost more than either of these temporary solutions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

A desktop wired to the router/modem is your best solution on a low bandwith plan or either upgrading to another premium plan. By the way, Welcome to bleepingcomputer. :welcome:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users