Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS INSTALL Dell Inspiron mini intell atom Xp home any suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gharris12978

Gharris12978

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

Ok so the wife needed a laptop for school and we are on shoe string budget I got her a dell mini because she liked the size and it was under 50$. I figure you can't go wrong. I am thinking I should strip the hard drive and reload Xp home just to get a fresh install and was wondering what you guys thought. The laptop came with Xp home. Is there anything I should do now to make the laptop run better. It will be used for PowerPoint, word processing, web surfing, watching movies, and playing music.

Looking for programs I should load, hardware to add, should I use Xp home are there other better options
I use vista on the home desktop and have no issues just looking for general input trying to make it better than new. Any input would be awesome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

<<...just looking for general input trying to make it better than new>>

There are only two things that come to mind for purchasers of OEM (Dell, Lenovo, etc.) systems:

a.  If you have a legitimate, licensed version of Windows lying around unused...do a clean install and rid yourself of the additional junk which OEMs install.

b.  Install the maximum amount of RAM which the system will accommodate.

Louis

#3 Gharris12978

Gharris12978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

I purchased a new copy of the os yesterday for that very reason I still have the key so it should be easy. But there is some bloat on Xp as well is there a way to keep that stuff from loading? The solitaire and minesweep come to mind? Also where can I find out what type of ram it will take I didn't know I could replace ram on this lil laptop.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

The documentation for the system...should be available at the website of the manufactureer.  This documentation should include current components installed, as well as maximum RAM supported.  If the RAM max is not easily found, just go to www.crucial.com , input the system data and the website will display replacement memory data, to include max RAM supported.

Games are hardly what I consider "bloat" since they take up minimal space and system resources...but you can remove such per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307768 .

Other features which I would disable/remove...would be Indexing, MSN Explorer, and Windows Messenger.  These are available at Add/Remove Programs/Windows Components.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users