Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP fails to start, boots up, but shuts down at desktop

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

I am working on a desktop running Windows XP Home ed. sp3. It powers on, runs through the boot sequence but as soon as the Windows desktop loads, the machine powers down. I have opened the case blown out every nook and cranny, pulled the heatsink off, cleaned the bottom of the heat sink and the top of the cpu and applied a new thin layer of heat tranfer compound. All of the fans work and I just do not know what to try next.

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2013 - 08:58 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Does it boot to safe mode?

#3 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Yes, and there is  "found new hardware" instance running. I added a PCI card recently because all the usb ports failed. But it did not come with any drivers.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Did the problem start when you added the card? As a test, please remove it and reboot. What happens?

#5 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

Removing the card did not clear the problem, Still shuts off as the desktop begins to load. It will start up and stay running in safe mode, but no Internet connection because the wifi adaptor has a usb connector and there are no working usb ports.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

Since it works in safe mode, please try a selective startup:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#7 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Thanks, I will do that and let you know how it goes.

#8 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Problem. I used msconfig to open the System Configuration Utility but when I try to make a change I get an access denied error message saying I may need to log on as administrator to make the changes, but I am already logged on as administrator!

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2013 - 05:18 AM.
Edited font size - Hamluis.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Okay, let's try this. Download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)

Uncheck all items on all tabs. Reboot. Can you boot to regular mode now? If not, go ahead and re-check all items. But if you can get into regular mode, Add items back one or two at a time, rebooting after each, until the problem recurs.

#10 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

Thanks, I will do that tomorrow. I have it booted to safe mode currently and have it running 24/7. Its weird, when I have tried to boot into regular mode and it shuts down,it will not power up again, I have to turn the power switch on the back of the case to off and let it sit for a minute, then flip the switch back to 'on' and then it will power up when I use the power button on the front of the case.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

That really sounds like a hardware issue, but it is strange that you don't have a problem in safe mode.

#12 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

The utility you asked me to download and run is giving me problems. I downloaded it to my computer (not the one I am working on) burned it to a disc and tried to run it on the problem pc. But as soon as I launch the program it tries to go online for some reason and since there aree no working usb ports, there is no way to connect to the wifi. It runs fine on my pc. Now what?                              

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

Startup Control Panel should not try to "go online". I've been using that little app for 20 years and never heard of that before. How are you trying to run it? Did you copy it to the problematic pc or are you trying to run it from the cd (actually, it should work either way since it doesn't require an installation routine, but please try both ways).

#14 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Okay, I unchecked all items in Lim's control panel and rebooted, it started up to the regular desktop, but I never got a GUI, as in no start menu, no desktop icons, nothing, just the normal Window's desktop wallpaper, you know, the green grassy hill and blue sky (the telly tubby wallpaper)

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

I suggest you try booting to safe mode and running full scans with BOTH your anti virus app and MalwareBytes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users