Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to manage disk partition in windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 evergreen1

evergreen1

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

i reently procured a mini laptop hp 200 4301 tu. installled windows 7. working. when i got the system there were two partitions of the 320 GB harddisk. first one was of 999 MB system  and next was of 397 GB. I installed win7 on the second partition. after installing the os, and with the disk management utility i made a two partition of the 297 gb. I got  C, D and E drives. then i shrink the C drive and got another unpartitioned space. when i wanted to rename it , errror message says there should only be 4 partition. how can i expand D drive and include this unpartitioned space of the hard drive. I am not sure about the first partition when i got the system. since it reads system partition, i am not sure if i merge this with drive C ,,,,,,,? help plz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

If you want to merge the unpartitioned space with D drive ,use a third party disk partition manager.Inbuilt shrink and expand feature will not work in this case.

Make sure to back up your important datas before performing disk partitions.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Since this is a laptop...that smaller partition originally installed...probably contains files needed for system functionality/booting or recovery efforts.

I'd leave it alone, unless you have some way to reinstall Win 7 using a legal, licensed MS Genuine Win 7 DVD.

Louis

#4 evergreen1

evergreen1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

i managed to resolve the issue. i deleted the part d: then i expanded the other drive. then i shrinked it to two. now it has c, and d drives plus the sys. drive.

#5 evergreen1

evergreen1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

Since this is a laptop...that smaller partition originally installed...probably contains files needed for system functionality/booting or recovery efforts.

I'd leave it alone, unless you have some way to reinstall Win 7 using a legal, licensed MS Genuine Win 7 DVD.

Louis

the small partition which i  got with the system with free dos. what do you think about this partition if i install windows 7 on this machine? or any other operating system for that matter. will i need to keep this small  partition of 990 MB aside?. i have seen that we could install any OS on a system provided the sys config matches. then if i delete the small partition and install the new os on c drive will i be able to boot the sys? can i think that the 990 MB partition was made for the sys files of DOS OS. and it has nothing to do with a new OS installed in future?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users