Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

a lot of "weird" problems but nothing ever shows in scans

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dadda11o

dadda11o

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hi. I have a pc running Vista Home Premium SP2. I have had weird problems but not sure if they are malware related or not. Some are sporadic and I have found "workarounds". But lately some of the weird stuff is new and seems more intense.

Some of the previous problems: trying to cancel a memory hogging svchost.exe (well over 100k but for no discernable reason) or other processes comes back with a "refusal" message, usually something like "not accepting control messages". Attempts to open a program give a message of "the stub received bad data". One time Windows Update box came up but had a weird message in it.  now, I have two "windows update" processes running and a message that says there are more to download, but when I go to the "start button", there is a little yellow icon that is to "alert" that the computer needs to be restarted for the updates to take effect. I have done several restarts and all previous updates show as "successful". The only one that shows as needing to be downloaded is a definition update for Defender. Last night, I tried to update Avast (the program not the virus defs) but it got "hung up" and never completed, although nothing else seemed to be competing for resources.

This past week, I lost my PS/2 capabilities and despite checking the registry, restarting, etc, had to switch out the keyboard. However, when I first plugged in the usb keyboard, none of the letters worked right ... they would type, just not the letter they were supposed to. I was going to check the keyboard (programming), but the problem "spontaneously" disappeared. Today, my wireless internet connection through Belkin router disintegrated and I got the message there is "no valid IP address", despite it working fine just seconds before.

I've done thorough virus scans and so on, on-line and with the Avast. Malwarebytes and the Microsoft security scanner ... usually nothing comes up (other than tracking cookies, and similar). But the other day, before the keyboard started giving fits, I restarted and then was unable to boot into windows .... message was that the partition table was repaired (after I found my disc), but the message before that there were no OS files on disk.

So I am not sure whether this is malware related, or some of it, or if I have a "bad configuration". I want to move my files that I don't want to lose over to another HDD, but having to go through and look through, so don't miss any and because of size, having to sacrifice some. Does what I am experiencing seem like a malware that is not being picked up? i also downloaded hijackthis and ran a scan, just to get familiar ... and am seeing some entries like 'unknown owner" especially with "missing files" in the System 32 and Protected Storage. I know sometimes the "scary" sounding terms don't mean anything, so want to check.

Thanks for any info!

Edited by hamluis, 05 March 2013 - 03:13 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dadda11o

dadda11o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

So today, nobody can connect to the wireless. I tried to re-install the two programs that were being used, for a D Link adapter and the Belkin monitor. First, no luck on the CDs being read. Windows asked if I wanted to burn a disk ... so I got that squared away; every time I finished the Belkin install, with an update, it kept uninstalling; I don't know why. So I tried just installing and skip the update. It crashed at the end. 5 attempts ....  I've had several more "the stub received bad data, click the "x" and try again ... 2nd time, usually no prob. Just that a lot of my services are now (again) turning themselves off; although set to automatic. BITS, Application Information, COM+ Sys Application, Extensible Authentication Protocol, both Remote Access services and a couple others, always the same and sporadically, but in a group. I get a popup message every so often when this occurs that tells me "IP Helper" service has stopped, but when I go into services and hit refresh, it always appears to be running. I'm stymied. And a bit frustrated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users