Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very slow after startup. HD runs constantly for 10 min. then ok.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BigRedDog

BigRedDog

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

windows xp pro 2002, sp3
pentium 4, 3.4Ghz, 1GB RAM
148GB harddrive, 101GB free space

When I start my computer and get to the desktop it takes about 10 minutes until I can actually use the machine. During this time the harddrive is running non-stop and trying to use a program like IE or Word is so slow that I just wait until the HD stops running. Otherwise, I do not seem to have any problem with the performance of my machine. I cannot detect any programs running in the backgroud during this time: I don't think it is the antivirus, definitely not the backup utility or windows automatic updates. Disabling the AV does not alter performance.

Additionally, at random times while using the computer the HD starts working and this does not seem to correlate to what I am doing with the machine. For example, I may be using Word and typing a document and for no reason the HD starts grinding away but not in response to a task or function that I had performed. This particular HD activity does not affect the performance though and I suspect that it may be the anti-virus. It is annoying as this machine has a particularly loud HD and always has been loud.

Actions to date.
1. run my antivirus: Spyware Dr. with A.V. Also used Malwarebytes and Spybot. I have a clean machine.
2. run startup utility and disabled various programs which has helped speed start up but not eliminated whatever is running in the background as described.

My questions: 1. what is running after the start up?  2. why the heck is my HD so darn loud?

thanks for any insight with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

if I had observable drive activity with no programs being launched...first thing I would think is that the hard drive needs to have chkdsk /r run...and then defragged afterward.

When files are in disarray, I believe that the symptoms you describe...can result.

If you are running a backup utility in the background, that just compounds the situation, IMO.

Louis

#3 BigRedDog

BigRedDog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

already run chkdsk and defrag.

Backup is not running as stated in first post.

hard drive runs nonstop for 10 min after getting to desktop and is so slow until that stops that I can barely use the machine. I just wait until it stops running.

Anti virus is NOT scanning on bootup

Backup is NOT constantly running, it is set to backup the system once per day.

Any suggestions on determining what is making the HD grind on like this on startup? thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users