Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broadband speed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dakotaboy

dakotaboy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

I am an unsophisticated user.  I have some questions regarding broadband speed.  I have AT&T DSL Elite Internet.  I found a link to an FCC site wherein you can test your broad band speed (link: http://www.broadband.gov/).  The results I got were as follows:

Download speed:  448 kbps

Upload speed:       231 kbps

Latency:                  42 ms

Jitter:                         2 ms

When I mouse over my internet icon in the system tray it says:

Local area connection

Speed:  100.0 Mbps

I went to the AT&T website and checked the various DSL options and they advertise as follows:

Pro internet:              Downstream speeds up to 3Mbps

Elite Internet:            Downstream speeds up to 6Mbps

Max Internet:             Downstream speeds up to 12Mbps

Max Plus Internet:     Downstream speeds up to 18Mbps

Max Turbo Internet:  Downstream speeds up to 24Mbps

Now for the questions:

1)  Can I assume the the connection speed of 100 Mbps as represented by the internet icon in the system tray is a maximum potential?

2)  Am I reading the results of the test correctly and my actual internet speed is 1/1000 (approx.) of the speed being advertised by AT&T?

3)  If #2 is true, would that be a problem with my hardware (computer or modem) or the network?

4)  I have no idea what an acceptable value would be for Latency or Jitter; are the figures shown in the test results O.K.?

Note regarding question # 2:  There was a class action lawsuit filed against AT&T regarding their internet service (actual speed being less than expected) and I received a small setllement check as part of the class.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dakotaboy

dakotaboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

I made the original post above, 2 days ago.  More than a little ironically, today I received a letter from AT&T, dated the same day (March 4) that states, "As part of our ongoing effort to provide you with the best possible internest exprerience, we regularly conduct quality checks to test the speed of your AT&T High Speed Internet service at your modem.  Our tests indicate that you are experiencing throughput speeds slower than the speed tier associated with your service plan."

As a result, they are lowering my monthly price.  This raises 2 questions:

1)  Is there any chance that AT&T monitors this website and is taking the above action as a result?

2)  What is throughput speed?  Is that the speed going into my modem from AT&T, or the speed that is going into my computer from the modem?  If the former, does that mean that no matter what plan I choose, with whatever modem, the internet speed I currently have is all I'll ever have with AT&T?

Thanks again.

Edited by dakotaboy, 06 March 2013 - 07:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users